Black & silver number plates.

muttyuk
This post is 3488 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

L reg is the last black/ silver in UK, but my TS250 is 1974 ,[ M] i have a black plate, as , On the V5 it says Manufactured 1972.

Police tailed me last year , never pulled me,, :eusa_whistle: ,

• Like 1

Cheers. I know that they're legal up to '72, and as far as I'm aware it's not an endorse blue offence.

They're clearly illegal on a '14 plate motorcycle, I was just wondering how 'particular' the old Bill are!

I suppose it depends on the copper who's following you.

A friends from my old Mini days had black / silver plates in their 1992 model. They got pulled once so after that reverted back to normal plates and just used the others for photos and shows.

Technically they shouldn't be used after '72 - so it's down to you whether to take that risk.

If the police get involved fixed penalty notices or vehicle defect notices may be issued, DVLA can fine you up to £1000 and you will fail the MOT test.

Yep MOT fail all day long and it's illegal I'm afraid plus one of the reasons they were originally fitted was that they can be seen at night unlike the old tin ones. You'll get a unfit notice from the old bill and if you fail to remove them it's a whopping great fine and points.

Most police officers, excepting the few on here and a few other sites, have little or no idea about bikes it's the same with lorries, so you might "GET AWAY WITH IT" for a short time but your going to run up against one of the knowledgeable ones eventually and he's going to rip you a new one !!! Your also right in that if you fit an old plate on a new bike you had best get a plate made up you can wear on your jacket saying "NICK ME NOW !!"

• Like 1

technically, they could prevent you from using the bike there and then.

You would have to get it towed away. expensive

• 2 months later...

i had black n silver on a 1996 honda VFC, for 3 years, never had any hassle from he police, just swapped them for the MOT every year, but yes they are technically illegal. think its just down to the cop on the day. Mine were full size and the font was correct, so wasnt trying to avoid the NPR cameras.

Silver text on black background tends to be actively serving military vehicles only, here.

So unless you're on a tactical deployment exercise or something, you would quite likely get pulled for those even if the cop knew nothing about bikes.

• 3 months later...

Buy yourself an old private number plate pre 72 as most coppers don't know bikes especially Harleys.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online