Barn Find Restoration

Raymond Merry
This post is 3686 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Today I removed the engine for total stripdown. after removing debris, fir cones etc, I noticed that the left side crankcase was damaged above and below the drive sprocket, probably had a snapped chain. so I am looking for a set of crankcases, CorD model. any one out there with a set they want to part with?

There are a couple of RD guru's on the forum (not me alas as I am learning as I go). The good news is that most parts can be gotten hold of quite easily. There is a mass of patten parts available from the chrome, to a simple rubber for the battery box. I have just had a D loom made from scratch. Good engines seem to be the hardest parts to find. I have already pointed you over to a dedicated RD forum but please stick around as there are lots of 2 stroke and RD lovers here.

Depending on the damage to your cases, you may be able to get them repaired. There are people who can do this.

Not sure where you are located but YOC (this forum) have an annual meeting in September where we meet up at Squires in Yorkshire for the weekend. The ACRD club meet in Derby in July.

Both are great events to go to.

you got your work cut out there but its not impossible.

try and get the cases repaired first, you will be surprised how cost effective it can be when lumped in with say, vapour blasting the cases

• Like 1

I agree, get the cases welded as long the numbers match quite a few RD's have been done this way. Going by the clocks I would say you have a D model but if its a 76?

You fuel tank is knackered in my opinion LOL.

Joking apart you should be able to get one at a reasonable price however the front mudguards are commanding heavy money due to Yamaha increasing prices.

PS. I like your Honda.

Certainly have a mountainous task restoring that Raymond, I've seen better dragged out of the Trent & Mersey, give Yuniparts a call for bits too, based somewhere near the Pentagon if I remember correctly, I'd have it sprayed with wd40 for a week too, help you with some of those nuts and bolts I can see you having trouble with.

Where you based, Ilkeston way?

Thanks Dirty DT, I am about 8 miles from derby,

I am in Loughborough but work in Nottingham.

Check out www.rd-bitz.co (no .uk in the address). He should be able to offer some services that will help. As Nevs post, he is in Ilkeston and a ACRD member. I have a list of stuff I plan him to do for both my RD's.

Yeh" thats a lot of brown paint on there, :rolleyes: Oh you mean thats rust :icon_eek: ... na seriously, Rd250/400 cases are the same , my mate had to cut and weld in the same area your has bust,[ chain damage] , good luck with the resto, :thumb:

RD250 / RD400 are different there are a few differences however the main one is, The stroke on the 400 is longer so the crank needs more room ie. 400's are deeper. If you are looking for new cases there are more 250's about than 400's also they will be far cheaper.

Hi first to Nev, no i'm not far from Ilkeston, i'm in Long Eaton,but when i removed the number plate, you can see a faint name on the bottom which said supplied by Granby Motors of Ilkeston, a friend of mine used to race for them back in the 60s, anyway the bike is now stripped and is at the powder coaters, for shotblasting and coating back to black, the engine has been stripped and rebuilt into good casings, supplied by RDJames, barrels are going next week for rebore and new pistons, hubs have been cut out of wheels, and are being restored before i have them rebuilt, i am making a list of parts that are beyond redememtion, to take to Stafford show in April, will post some more pics when i get the frame and parts back.

Good Lord Raymond that is seriously impressive, all that work already mate makes the rest of us look like right snails. Will be looking forward to the finished product although I suspect your wallet will be a lot thinner by that time.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online