Rd r r - the tale of 3 RD400's - More of a saga than a project.

DirtyDT
This post is 3267 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

OK people, The last bits about the workshop and then onto the 2 RD's.

Stuff from the store put into the workshop. I still need to sort out the boxes. Nothing in the tool chests yet.

largeshed7.jpg

Even with 4 bikes in it and stuff to be put away there is still plenty of room - maybe for another bike :icon_wink:

largeshed8.jpg

On to the project. RD400-1 in with lots of room to work.

largeshed9.jpg

A few bits to get me going. There are another few bags somewhere but I can't find them at the moment.

largeshed10.jpg

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Great settup newman,,, lots of NOS parts i see ££££ :rolleyes:

Looking very good!

Cheers Andrew.

Great settup newman,,, lots of NOS parts i see ££££ :rolleyes:

About £300 of parts sitting on the bench. Parts aren't too bad, Yambits sell loads of bits for it and the bike shares parts from many others so NOS parts are affordable.

thumbsup.gif

There was an oil leak somewhere so before I moved it into the workshop I checked the 2 stroke and gearbox levels. The gearbox seems over full and the 2 stroke tank may have been a little full. I can't find a leak yet. Possibly just overflows.

I buy NOS parts and forget I have them :eusa_doh:

its ok so long as you don't buy it again!

that shed is looking good there

I buy NOS parts and forget I have them :eusa_doh:

its ok so long as you don't buy it again!

that shed is looking good there

Cheers Drewps.

I have a few doubles

• 2 weeks later...

I think I have managed to source another RD400 frame. When I say frame I mean almost enough for a rolling chassis. It comes complete with a log book, MOT and tax. '76 on a R plate. My initial thoughts are to build this up using the parts from the un-registered bike 2 and then possibly use the left over bits for bike 3. I did say there was enough room in the workshop for Another bike but didn't expect it to be so soon and not another RD400!

Since getting it it had developed an oil leak. Red oil so 2 stroke. I have brought new oil pipes and clips all around because I suspected it was a pipe. I popped the oil pump cover off and as I was un-tightening it, loads of 2 stroke oil and water came out. This was the mess inside.

rd4001-009.jpg

rd4001-010.jpg

rd4001-011.jpg

Looks like the 2 stroke oil feed from the tank is leaking. The clip is very loose and there is no clip on the other end of the tank anyway!!

Shot of the bottom of the carbs. The spigots are supposed to have vent pipes to the airbox. The spigots in the airbox are fine (they are commonly broken) but no pipes.

rd4001-012.jpg

I have made a start.

rd4001-004.JPG

rd4001-007.JPG

I dont know if you know. I'm not sure Dirty but that looks like a 250 airbox & filter.

The new 400 filter looks the same as that one - albeit slightly cleaner and I know that there are subtle differences with the center of the airbox and the baffles. Paul from the ACRD club is bringing me another airbox at the Derby show. I know the one he has is a 250 one so I can compare, I am also posting a slightly different thread on ACRD so someone over there may point out the same. Cheers for the heads up though.

Brought a very tidy airbox with the right fitting. 3 air filters with baffles (they seem difficult to get so got enough). Popped off a carb to check it.

rd4001-015.jpg

rd4001-014.jpg

rd4001-016.jpg

rd4001-017.jpg

The 400 should look like this it seems.

$_35.JPG

That's the right one Dirty and the baffled air filter.

Do Not fit the un-baffled filter without Jetting up on a standard 400 but if you do it would be about 170 mains, this is an approx as you probably know jetting is dark art.

If your interested I know of a perfect set of 400C/D cans that will be up for sale soon, he told me they wont be up for sale on the AC site if your interested I'll ask him for you.

Brought a very tidy airbox with the right fitting. 3 air filters with baffles (they seem difficult to get so got enough). Popped off a carb to check it.

rd4001-014.jpg

rd4001-017.jpg

I've seen a lot worse are you going ultrasonically clean them or see how they are first?

That's the right one Dirty and the baffled air filter.

Do Not fit the un-baffled filter without Jetting up on a standard 400 but if you do it would be about 170 mains, this is an approx as you probably know jetting is dark art.

I brought the one shown in that picture. It wasn't cheap but looked like it was in good nick.

I brought 3 of these yesterday.

filter.jpg

I have a list of jets I need 120 MJ and 25 pilot being the 2 main ones. I will phone Allens Performace in a while to order some genuine ones.

If your interested I know of a perfect set of 400C/D cans that will be up for sale soon, he told me they wont be up for sale on the AC site if your interested I'll ask him for you.

I am not a purest so if they are more expensive than a set of spannies in stainless then I would opt for the spannies. If you can ask though please and PM me. I have been offered a pair of NOS ones but I didn't ask the price so that has gone no further.

I've seen a lot worse are you going ultrasonically clean them or see how they are first?

The bike ran and rode excellently with the carbs as they are and those jets in. I will ultrasonic clean them but they may be spares once I have called Allens.

Thanks for the replies and the PM. I have responded.

Looking good, can I ask how much they are from Allens as I'm getting low now on Jets?