Do we think Drag Stars will ever become 'collectible'?

FizzyRascal
This post is 3716 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I think when the 30/40 Year old now , in 10 years will re-buy what they had as first bikes, .

The YZF R1 1998 red/white will be the next brough superior , :yeah: .but the market will not be fueled by as many old bikers,

As we " were all on motorcycles when left school. most of my mates had a bike , till they passed the car test,,,

Cant see the volume of buyers, once were gone,,, :cloud9:

This is a fair point. I'm 'reliving my youth' with my Fizzies and stuff. I got my first moped in 1973 (at 16)

There's a whole generation out there that never ever rode tho'.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

just about any 2 stroke commands top money now, really hard to find a bargain,

This is so true. :)

Draggies hold their value well, as can be seen from a quick perusal of the classifieds. As long as they are well cared for, and modded tastefully, I think there will be a market for them for many years to come. Mine gets some very admiring views and comments when I'm out and about: people wanting to know what make and model, "sweet looking bike man!", etc. The Silver Lady has even known to attract the glances of the odd Harley rider. One fairly ancient bearded gent on a massive old Harley certainly liked the sound of her and didn't mind saying so (thank you messrs Vance & Hines!)

Mechanically there are things to watch out for (as with every bike), but the low-revving, unstressed engine should see the other side of 100k with the odd replacement (e.g. timing belt at 60-70k). Tasky's case was a bit of very uncommon bad luck. I've never actually heard of another case on any other bike where the oil sump plug just comes off, spilling the oil and killing the engine.

I believe there is, and will be, a crowd out there of former owners and other interested parties that will keep this bike alive for a few decades yet...

Tasky's case was a bit of very uncommon bad luck. I've never actually heard of another case on any other bike where the oil sump plug just comes off, spilling the oil and killing the engine.

It wasn't the plug, it was the gasket around the oil filter. It melted and split, leaving oil to piss out the gap so fast that the level light never even came on.

If the bike is very well maintained, it should be OK, but these things are susceptible to issues and certain spares are a real pain in the arse. It's certainly not intended to be a daily ride, though... least not in this country!

The rubber O-ring? I change that with every oil-filter change.

You're absolutely right though that it's not an every day use bike. No cruiser is. Hence the CB500 for my daily commute.

I highly doubt they will be collector's items. They are after all like the Guys said above.

Plus I think the only ones that will fetch the most money in years to come are the standards ones and the ones not fucked about with by blokes like me ha ha

haha we're not fucking about with them

we just make them a bit more unique lol

• Like 1

The rubber O-ring? I change that with every oil-filter change.

Likewise. Perhaps I got a duff one and didn't notice. Meh... have FJ now, so all is fine.

But yeah, needs looking after.

I personally still think original unmodded bikes will be of higher value. Tastes change, tassels become fashion faux-pas, conchos become frowned upon and studs.... well. They're studs. :lol:

I have said on here several times. I would far sooner have a well looked after original bike (like my tdr) than a bitza that been abused and rebuilt time again (er like my dt).

The discoloured paint on the barrel. The marks of life give a bike soul. A perfect restoration most of the time these days follows a stck line.

Strip bike.

Complete engine rebuild with all new.

Strip and recoat frame

New seat

New wiring

New rubber grips etc

New cables

New

New

zzzzzzzzzzzz

They are not restored their replaced using the old bike as a pattern. On stuff like dirtys lil 125, fine that is pretty rough. People ask if im going to restore my tdr, fuck off or close to it is the usual response. The bike is 26 years old, 10k or so, pretty much as it left the factory. Save for some dodgy wheel painting (dunno now fixed).

Original, good nick and in vaguely regular use with tax and test is what makes money. Not ornaments.

I personally still think original unmodded bikes will be of higher value. Tastes change, tassels become fashion faux-pas, conchos become frowned upon and studs.... well. They're studs. :lol:

Tassels have always been fashion faux-pas!

I think a decent set of well-looked after after-market pipes, nice 'n' shiny, can increase the value of the bike (as well as make it sound better).

Studs I'm in too minds about; my bike has - some - studs. I realize studs are one of those things that can really camp up a cruiser, especially if it's absolutely festooned with them (for that pearly queen look!) I have a few studs on the top of my saddlebags, and some smaller ones on the leather tank pad. They're stainless steel though, not chrome. And I think I get away with it because they sort of work with the silver paint scheme of the bike. Still a bit camp though, but what the hell, it's a drag queen! :P Stud no-no's: no studs on saddles, sissy bars or on the sides of saddlebags.

DSCF0053.jpg

What are conchos?

Conchos - Little round decorative things (usually with tassels affixed) that belong on the handbags of cowgirls, not the saddlebags of biker boys:

AL_3650_SADDLEBAG_BRAID_AND_CONCHOS.jpg

The saddlebags are ok, but I've never liked studs on saddles and sissybars, I find them OTT. But hey, if it puts a smile on yer face who cares what anyone else thinks? :jossun:

Studs are gay, camp, and hidious! Gizzy what the fook are you thinking man! ha ha

Tassles need to be firmly wrapped around the rider throat and the studded seat and extras rammed up the twitching rabbits nose.

but each to there own and as long as you all like them then who am i to question your sexuality :eusa_whistle::biglaugha:

Studs are gay, camp, and hidious! Gizzy what the fook are you thinking man! ha ha

Tassles need to be firmly wrapped around the rider throat

I take it your not a Harley fan then :rolleyes: do you wear chaps tho"

Tassles need to be firmly wrapped around the rider throat and the studded seat and extras rammed up the twitching rabbits nose.

but each to there own and as long as you all like them then who am i to question your sexuality :eusa_whistle::biglaugha:

i just bought it that way and it grew on me lol

So's riding around in a nazi helmet boyo!

Ahh too shay sir.

I take it your not a Harley fan then :rolleyes: do you wear chaps tho"

Im a Harley fan but not to the extreme that i would buy all the Harley branded crap that mr sales man wants to add to your receipt. And i only wear chaps on week ends down with my mates at the Blue oyster.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online