650 Dragstar project

Jinx
This post is 3574 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My Dragstar is currently looking sorry for itself in the garage, in pieces.

It is having a re-spray and some of the chrome is going black.

I am after a rear fender conversion, I don't like the standard one sitting so high. I want something to sit more flush with the tyre. Any recommendations on where to go or what I am actually looking for?

Thank you!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Here is a good place to start chap-et, or the only other way is to build your own.

http://bluecollarbobbers.com/yamaha-v-star-650

Lower the suspension?

There is a way of lowering the suspension but it involves dilling the gusset between the back bone and down tube where the wiring loom sits on.

Like so (Click on the julio Slam link on the suspention Catigory):

http://www.650ccnd.com/ht.htm

If i was going to do this mod i would drill the hole a bit bigger then weld a steel pipe in to keep the bolt elongating the gusset or worse snap the bolt when / if you hit a pot hole.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the lack on activity on this post :eusa_doh: We have been busy prepping for paintwork. Basically all of the chrome is now going black..... including the wheels.... everything really. So the re-spray has become a full blown transformation :hyper:

We have bought an English Wheel, and have a fabricator on hand, so it look as though we are making a rear fender....... I am also after a short, black exhaust and a set of flat/straight bars. We may end of making these too, but I want to have a look for some ideas or places to buy in case they're cheap enough?

Does anyone know of anyone/where I can get a seat made? We are using the standard seat base, but cutting the back away, so I will need to find someone to foam/upholster it.

The bike is going to be unrecognisable!!!! :eusa_whistle:

I had my seat made in Chicago via e bay. I have a set of 32" wide drag bars that I no longer want if you would like them to try?

I know what you mean about not being recognisable its when you look at the bank balance at the end of the month and think why ha ha

I solve my high back fender problem with a baron lower kit in 3 stages... but I have just 65 kg and a single seat conversion. if you lower the suspension you must forget about caring pillion

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know where I should look for a set of new forks? I basically want the entire bike black, but there's obviously a part of the front forks that we can't paint. I have no idea on cost, so I might have to cope with what I've got.

I'm still deciding on the bars, whether dead straight or straight with a slight pull back. I'm finding it hard to picture which would look best....

What part is it you cant paint on the forks?

Dead flat bars look great but your wrists will be fucked after 5 miles and are best used on drag bikes. Best to go with a set with a bit of a pull back, nothing drastic but a 2" pull back will keep wrist pain at bay.

It will be the chrome inner stations, you could possibly get the black chromed.

• Like 1

Would that not make them out of tollerance to fit through the yokes? or do they strip off the old chrome and re-plate them?

Would that not make them out of tollerance to fit through the yokes? or do they strip off the old chrome and re-plate them?

Think about that for a min Noise what about the seals in the lower leg? The tollerence there must be maintained much closer than the yokes.

When are you going to post some picts Jinx?

O yer forgot bout them haha, best to just leave them chrome, far too much pissing about and money if you ask me as if they put it on too thick or thin then its back to square one

That's it exactly, it's that part that we can't paint. I have tried looking for a set of new forks, but I can't seem to find any :shakeno: any suggestions on where to try?

As we have replaced the original fender with a simple, metal, custom fender we have to change the giant seat!! So we are considering painting the suspension spring to match the chrome fork 'inners', just so that there is a little detail to match otherwise I think it will just look really odd!!

As it's still basically a frame with wheels and horrible bars, the only pics I have are of it original and as it's being worked on.

Noise, you are right about the bars, I thought the same last night. I had an operation on my right wrist back in January and I'm still suffering with it, so I think flat bars would be very silly!! I want to enjoy my bike once I get it back!! So straight with slight pull back it is :hyper:

Still having trouble finding forks :madflame:

I am after a few other bits too, can anyone point me in the right direction? (I'm failing after eBay...)

Number plate bracket

Indicators

Mirrors

Grips

Thank you :jossun:

Hey love, getting new forks is like finding hens teeth. I know what your saying with it being out of place but its going to be hard getting them sorted without having major problems, if you give me £600 you can have my and i can by my springer forks haha.

As for your shopping list you can get all of them on ebay, also indicators are free! I just point to where i wanna go :) just type in on ebay 1" grips and fannies your aunt take your pick, same with a side number plate braket and mirror nice modified bar end mirror looks great which again is what i done.

Simple way to hide the chrome on the forks, get some black rubber gaiters, or possibly the shrouds from the classic forks would fit, and you could paint them.

I actually used 40mm wide black heat shrink for the top parts of the forks and gaitors of the bottom so if you want some heat shrink let me know and i can sort some out for you ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online