back after 10 years with a 31 year old XT

mozzy
This post is 3697 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi guys and gals, long time no speak, just treated myself to a mint condition 1983 xt125, super excited about using the old girl these pics are one off ebay and other two in my garage, i will get better pics tomorrow, taking her to my workshop for and get it booked for mot . im still speechless to think i just got this for 350 beer notes... an absolute steal, especiaslly as i seen a resto project go on ebay in terrible condition for 900 last week. the seller was absolute gutted, his fault for listing just as a "motorbike" on ebay lol, i wasnt looking, found it totally by accident. best accident ever i think

1D530DD8-AF09-47FA-A920-4FB4CDB3634F_zps

CA6A960C-DBBE-4139-AEFD-3FA2892D8FBF_zps

090C2914-971F-4BBF-82D7-2550F44F0447_zps

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

What a steel , well done there with the bargain.

TTB

its probably the best deal ever, as in it is absolutly immaculate throughout, one minor mark on fuel tank that is it. in for mot yesterday, now bear in mind it had not turned a wheel since 1998, i changed oil, plug, fresh fuel and a carb clean, took for mot, the testers jaw hit the floor, he fell in love with it, passed the mot, straight out, no advisories, and when i got there he had written a check for £ 1750 and was trying to get me to sell to him, naturally i thought about it, but its just to good to sell on at the moment, i want to enjoy my time with it, i have booked a cbt test for 21st feb, insured for £53 a year lol, taxed for £17, now its a case of doing cbt, then enjoy it.

its not the fastest thing on the road, tops out around 70mph, which is more than enough for pottering about on, but if i commute with it, id like a little more (so im not near full throttle at 60 mph), whats the easiest way without getting silly can i loosen it up a little, i was thinking maybe upjetting it, i dont want to shy away from the originality, i wont change the exhaust as the original is to good to remove, jets can be easily replaced to standard if i do ever sell it , i would swap for a tdr 125 or xl125 varadero but it would have to be good.

thanks for the welcome back guys.

tom

id rather the 4 stroke for the 30 mile commute, did the 2 stroke things years ago, to lary for me lol.....a friend has a lovely 79 dt250mx for sle, £900 was tempted with that but to be honest, the xt is to clean to consider selling...just trying to find info on upjetting but nothing about

Shudda took the £1750. from tester. bought the DT250 . and had 800 in your hipper,, :twocents: , Its bonnie tho the Xt///

i dont have a full bike license so the dt is out of the question,.... the xt will never set the world alight but it will never lose value either, so its an investment,

i upped it to a 120 main jet and got a smaller front sprocket , and now still, pulls around 75 mph, but it does not seem to scream so much now, it cruises at 70 at app 5000 rpm where as before it was 6000 rpm, and tops around 75 mph, not amazing i know but for a 31 year old bike im happy....the jet on its own made it pull better, airhead, im a mechanical engineer so i know the the physical side of it, the bhp is immaterial to me, although i was ooffered a old xt250 engine for £200 which could be worthwhile, but i want to keep it as original as possible. i also have a quadzilla stinger road legal quad (not a jap machine but not chinese so not all bad) it looks great i have fitted a honda 500 twin which is the toy, its a drift machine. the xt125 is for traffic dodging lol.

i did discover today after it started running poorly that the tank is full of rust flakes so the next task is top clean that

any tips on cleaning the tank, i was going to put a load of bolts in the tank and shake it a bit ???

quadzilla are made by smc (standard motor company) a taiwanese, not quite jap but alot better than the chinese stuff, there quads are very very well built compared to most and are highly functional compared to the fancy looking chinese ones, ive had 3 road legal quads now, first was a 250 superdream powered quadzilla great fun and great starting point, then had a honda trx300, got bored then did the 500 project, i initially fitted a dominator 650 engine, which was an absolute weapon, the torque was to much though and it kept twisting rear axles, it would pull 130 mph which when you think a raptor 700 wont even do 100 is pretty impressive so when the dom engine went pop i slipped a cb500 twin in, will dow app 105 mph, 0-60 around 5 seconds, and fixed rear axle so a bit of a drift machine....ive had hundreds, literally hundreds of people that have never even sat on a quad say " quads are dangerous, they tip over" not once have i ever even come close to tipping over on one, as long as you shift your weight about when cornering they are perfectly safe, although the snappy handling can be a little harsh on the inexperienced. i quite fancy a road legal buggy, i had a joyner 650 a few years back, i mounted a saab turbo to it, but that one was off road only, i own 27 acres of land (currently totally under water in the disaterous somerset terrain, not good here at the moment) so get to have alot of boys toys to play on, also have a 17 foot speed boat with a fiesta rs turbo engine powering it, although its not as fast as youd expect, 55 mph flat out, that was was taken after a friend bought a car off me and as he was a friend i allowed him to pay in instalments, but he never did so got the boat off him as a compromise.

Nice one Mozzy got a cracking bike there, I have an 82 XT125, in pieces that I keep promising myself I'm going to get put back together and restore back to factory standard. Reading your thread, might make my get off me arris and do it, they first came out in 1982, and my frame starts 007 so am hoping that's number 7 off the production line. could be wrong mind you.

Nice one Mozzy got a cracking bike there, I have an 82 XT125, in pieces that I keep promising myself I'm going to get put back together and restore back to factory standard. Reading your thread, might make my get off me arris and do it, they first came out in 1982, and my frame starts 007 so am hoping that's number 7 off the production line. could be wrong mind you.

lol, first one was 0000101 Nev

Mine'll be 460 then OG or is it 359th?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online