Wanting to fit new bars but unsure

shaun_1990
This post is 3686 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey everyone, I have what is hopefully an easy question :)

Wanting to fit some rental fat bars on my xj6n (had them on my old drz400 and loved them, I have never attempted to change bars on a motorbike I am willing to try anything, is there anything I need to be careful of? And does anyone have any pictures of an xj with different bars?

Thanks for looking :) thanks for any help :)

I do have a vague idea as to what does what done mechanic qualifications at col & always working on cars but this is a new one haha

Shaun

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey everyone, I have what is hopefully an easy question :)

Wanting to fit some rental fat bars on my xj6n (had them on my old drz400 and loved them, I have never attempted to change bars on a motorbike I am willing to try anything, is there anything I need to be careful of? And does anyone have any pictures of an xj with different bars?

Thanks for looking :) thanks for any help :)

I do have a vague idea as to what does what done mechanic qualifications at col & always working on cars but this is a new one haha

Shaun

Check the length of hoses and cables, is there enough slack for the new bars? - always seems to be a maker or breaker when fitting different bars on a bike.

bar swaps are easy to do and can be done in less than an hour.

but you need to make sure that the cables and hoses are going to be long enough and that the replacement bars wont foul on anything when fitted. need to check these on full lock both ways, check for cables hoses being stretched or catching ect, and bars fouling on any thing they could come into contact with.

the switch gear on some bikes has a little locating blob moulded into the switch gear housing so a hole will need to be drilled in the bars if this is the case. other than that its a case of unscrewing the stuff loose old bars fit new ones and the refit switch gear.

where abouts are you located??

fat bars are a bar that renthal do, the are slightly thicker diameter bars than standard ones.

the bars are fat and chuncky in the middle and taper off to the ends.

Thanks for the replies, had a look at what excess is on the cables at the moment and theoretically speaking there should be enough as the new bars do not raise at the ends like the current one's do.

Fat bars just seem abit chunkier in the middle &more flat

I am located in sandbach/Cheshire :) beef, which you being from Oldham is not that far away haha

Thanks for the replies, had a look at what excess is on the cables at the moment and theoretically speaking there should be enough as the new bars do not raise at the ends like the current one's do.

Fat bars just seem abit chunkier in the middle &more flat

I am located in sandbach/Cheshire :) beef, which you being from Oldham is not that far away haha

so they wont fit then?

Not that much chunkier but if they won't I need to find some other form of bar that's abit flatter or some other clamp.

Sure it's been done before.

Shaun

If they dont fit they just get a different set of risers. im guessing that the standard XJ^ bars are 7/8th and these fat bars will be about 1" thickso you will need new risers.

Also the left hand grip will be glued on so steal the wifes hair dryer to sofen it up

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=crosser+bars&_osacat=14780&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR10.TRC0.A0.Xoff+road+handle+bars&_nkw=off+road+handle+bars&_sacat=14780

that's a link to the type of bar you want.

if your top yoke has a one piece yoke and riser then you will need to get the bar that fits, ie same diameter as that's fitted now.

but if your top yoke has the bolt in type riser you will need the bars and risers. and then its a bolt off and bolt on job.

and if you want to come to mine and get some help to fit them then I am willing to help you out.

Tanks for the reply beef, I may well take you up on that offer but first off I will check everything out first to see what I need :)

Shaun

Well all a little update, I have now decided on some rizoma anodised red bars & on an also high note, they are also 7/8 bars so should also fit straight on, I'm now in the process of contemplating getting the rizoma grips to go withy the new bars...oh the choices...

Shaun

seen the pics of your bike on the other post, and your risers are just bolt in ones, so get which ever bars but with the right risers.

With the rizoma bars would not need new risers would I Beef?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it has took me ages to reply beef, I will be getting new bars and may take you up on your offer if that is okay however it will be a little while as cash is abit scarce at the moment after getting a new car, will work it around anytime your free though :)

Shaun

yeah no probs, just give us a shout when your ready.

pretty sure you could do it with out me, having seen the tail tidy you have put on.

have a look on you tube and see what you think, but the offer of help is there for you

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online