Then and Now

jimmy
This post is 3708 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Yeah I wonder how many people have been sliced up by them, its only on bikes registered after September 2001 that it became illegal to have them.

Sent from my pc using my fingers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I found 2 pics first is of me and my first bike XS250 in Oban summer of 82

betsy_zpsa1a79fa8.jpg

the second is later the same year back in liverpool with my now Bike when she was new & blue

moly_zpsa1c44a4e.jpg

and yes Drew I was once thin

• Like 2

Very good tommy. My first bike was an xs250cw bought, 1981, from wheeled machines in Glasgow. Unfortunately I never had as much fun on mine as you appear to have. Mine was a dog and would never start. I was always last out of the shipyards having flattened the battery then exhausted my leg kicking the fucker......Its saving grace was I passed my test in December 81.

By contrast, my pal bought an xs250 us custom and he never had an ounce of bother with his. Maybe mine was a monday morning bike

As I've mentioned before the only problem I had with it was the point's kept pitting otherwise it was a fantastic 1st bike. I done around 20k on it in less than 18 months went everywhere on it, the summer of 82' I was working in Oban what a year that was.

what year is this Drew ? see your L plate's were about as visible as your number plate is on the Tracker now :razz:

I'd say '88, yep the plates curled up. that bike shifted with the micron on there and Metz tyres which lasted 3k miles

the bend on the Combe Martin picture was my first ever corner, steered it like a push bike and went straight on. luckily no cars were coming round the bend :eusa_shifty:

• 3 weeks later...

Not me and not mine, but a good 'then' pic all the same

21_zps57fd4614.png

Here's my wife back around 1992, standing beside her older brothers 1986 FZ600 - now here's the weird thing, I bought my motorcycle knowing nothing about this picture or his past history of what bikes he had, brought this home, and the wife said, I think my brother had that same bike... and she dug up this old picture! What a strange and wonderful coincidence. The universe works in strange ways. :D

12589427823_09d87cc617_c.jpg

• Like 2

1990 lost the hair re-did the bike 2nd place trophy for the london bike showbikespast020.jpg

• Like 1

Go on then - it would be rude not to frighten you all.................

Me - 1980- my first bike CB100N - I was 17:

1980HondaCB100N_zpsd330750e.jpg

Dad had the XS400 at the time...........

Then 1982, with the French girl who is now my wife, in Salzburg, Austria - CB250NB - we married there exactly 30 years later:

SALZBG1982004_zps3c37f76d.jpg

SALZBG1982003_zps49afd9cc.jpg

That's it - horror show over..................

• Like 1

Great pics,,, i see now why your a dream club member" . And Dt 50 , in pic 1, you look like an 1980" pop star,, :hah:

I must dig up my mates photo"s , as i cudna afford a camera :eusa_doh:

Go on then - it would be rude not to frighten you all.................

Me - 1980- my first bike CB100N - I was 17:

Carl, As a matter of interest, can you remember why you chose a 100cc bike. Everyone I knew, myself included, went straight on to a 250

Mostly because it was all I could afford at the time (second hand at £300 - had interview with the bank manager for the loan!!).

I had just started work from leaving school.

Passed my test on it (twice round the block and emergency stop............) then the 125 law came in, so managed to buy the Superdream cheap (£795 new) as the dealer had a stash he couldnt shift!

Happy days!!!

Mostly because it was all I could afford at the time (second hand at £300 - had interview with the bank manager for the loan!!).

I had just started work from leaving school.

Passed my test on it (twice round the block and emergency stop............) then the 125 law came in, so managed to buy the Superdream cheap (£795 new) as the dealer had a stash he couldnt shift!

Happy days!!!

Cheers mate, just curious was all.

Yea I had to get my auld man to go guarantor for my bike, an xs 250. I sat the same test and the only memorable thing was doing the slow walking pace part, my examiner had a limp so to a young very impatient dude it was the slowest walking pace ever, probably not tho'

Happy Days indeed mate