'70 - '80 DT175 owners advice on the bike and any recommended modifications?

fawzi963
This post is 3739 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Owners advice:

Easily obtainable spares.

Lots of used spares available.

Lots of new genuine/ pattern parts available

Some genuine parts are NOT available....but can be sourced from any combination of the above!!

Perishable parts DON'T last forever! You will need to keep an eye on some of those, don't expect a 30 year old tyre to be reliable or trustworthy!! Cables need attention, chains wear if not maintained,

Runs on petrol and oil, don't forget either!

Easy to work on

Reliable

Can develop problems ALL easily solved with maintenance, attention and/or replacement

Robust.

lightweight, (can be an issue in gale force winds I won't ride mine in beaufort 8 plus)

Good on and off road.

Brakes work fine, no need to modify, you're NOT riding a rocket!!

Electrics:- lights and running are all reliable however,light/battery can be modified to 12v (don't expect a light show though!)

Engine: 2 stroke....need i say more?

Has a good following on this website, lots of support.

Bike gets dirty if you use it!

Bike stays spotless if you don't

Have I forgotten anything?

That something a bit more special has been a wanna do for me for a long time.

Rd200 realisticly fits (kinda exhausts hit the frame) or a 250 with more work. But if the 250 fits, well the 400 for shits and giggles would be epic for the pub car park. Of course all life insurance would be void lol.

Ho daydreams again............

That something a bit more special has been a wanna do for me for a long time.

Rd200 realisticly fits (kinda exhausts hit the frame) or a 250 with more work. But if the 250 fits, well the 400 for shits and giggles would be epic for the pub car park. Of course all life insurance would be void lol.

Ho daydreams again............

Engine swap can be a good idea, but not really worth spending the money and time, not because the DT is a bad frame nor cause the RD has a bad engine, but cause who would compromise the agileness and nimbleness of a DT ;) Its like changing the purpose of the DT which is being a dual sport.

Ever ridden a Dt175, ever ridden a TDR250. If you can say yes to both it will make utter sense.

The dt is screaming for another 10hp to go from good to great.

Ever ridden a Dt175, ever ridden a TDR250. If you can say yes to both it will make utter sense.

The dt is screaming for another 10hp to go from good to great.

When did that stop people, rd400 front wheel (drum) Not impossible by any means. Apart from finding one, lol

nah the brakes arent up to it :lol:

I agree with Airhead about the brakes. But since Cynic mentioned horsepower, does the DT175 really produce 22 horsepower? If yes does anyone have any torque figures also for the DT?

22 more like 15 on a really healthy one. prob nearer 12 in the real worrld.

60mph is about it.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online