Chain break, now engine won't start

AndrewElvisFan
This post is 3749 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just a thought but for the past few months, when I've had to switch to reserve tank it has taken several yards before she's fired back up. Before this I hardly ever let it run to reserve. Also, the last tank I put in was premium, not regular unleaded. Would this have made a difference? Clutching at straws while getting my boys sorted lol!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I know - just starting mouth before engaging brain! Why is it when I need the boys to settle quickly and stop messing around they won't?!

After using a blow torch (cheers Jason!!) I got her firing up! She won't idle properly and keeps stalling. I double checked the pilot screw and it is 2 turns out the throttle stop screw is virtually all the way in. This is making idle very fast but even small movements out causes a stall. A quick ride up and down the garden is fine until I stopped, then she stalled without me blipping the throttle. Possibly time for a carb strip or could this still point at a CDI issue? Thanks again for all your inputs!

You forgot to add beer to dinner's soup LOLOLOL.

Well I was typing this all out before you posted so here it is any way and yep could be CDI read below

Ok so your going to be taking the plug out,cut a 10 inch piece of coat hanger rod and slip it in to hole,remove timming mark plug,The small one

now does you bike have a kick start? if it does then slowly find TDC and monitor the position of the rod if it still moving up or down when the TDC mark on the case is lined up to the TDC mark on the flywheel come up then the fly wheel key is bent......Honestly though I doubt it.

If no kicker then just turn the back wheel with the bike in top gear noting when the rod is fully Up and check to see if the timming marks line up. Or turn it over with a socket on the crank bolt for the flywheel.

If you dont have a timming light to check it make one out of a bulb and some wire and hook it to the coil feed wires,I made one years ago out of a old flash light ( torch to you ) search on utube someone must have posted a video about how to make 1 then you could crank the eng and check the timing.If your short on cash to buy a cheap one or cant borrow one.

Possibly the hard starting was due to a cdi starting to go. I had a rz 350 that drove me nuts 1 day walk out kick it and starts normal next day kick it 25 times befor it would start and then run fine,,or cut out at a stop wait 5 min and would start again.The spark was always good when I checked it but out of timewhen I checked it with a light one day it was not starting.Had another rz and swaped CDI and bike ran fine.

As Dirty said time to stop shot guning the fix and get some facts,you have spark so spray some run muther faker at it and see what that does if the timming is out then it will back fire or shoot flames out the exhaust.

• Like 1

sounds like the carb to me matey. have you given the carb a few taps with a screwdriver handle? knocks excess fuel from the carb, might help?

I'll try that first thing in the morning, tho she's only starting on half choke at the moment. Fingers crossed she'll start again! Really need to get to work on it so the mrs has the car to get our youngest to play group! That will at least give me the weekend to start at the very beginning of the list!

Great, looking carb related then, the half choke bit may be some latent fuel wafting around in there.

You have checke the filters and such.

Have you ever stripped and cleaned a carb before, im not patronising but people get it wrong sooooooo many times it could have its own section.

Great, looking carb related then, the half choke bit may be some latent fuel wafting around in there.

You have checke the filters and such.

Have you ever stripped and cleaned a carb before, im not patronising but people get it wrong sooooooo many times it could have its own section.

Do you mean the air filter? Unable to start it this morning so taken a sickie! I've not stripped a carb for 20 years and then it was a tiny double diaphragm strimmer jobbie! I'm going to try and find something on you tube that will hopefully help.

Air filter for cleanliness and fuel filter (in the petcock) for blockages. The airfilter can be knocked to get debris out but if it is rank then needs changing. There is normally a bowl on the bottom of the fuel tap that can be unscrewed and cleared of junk. Often there is a thin wire gauze in there that gets blocked with crud. Make sure that fuel flows out the bottom of the fuel tap in on and reserve positions. With the carb you are looking at taking the bowl off the bottom and seeing what it looks like. Clear any crud and flakes. Remove the floats making sure you remember which way up they go and remove all the jets giving them a good clean. Get to halfords and get some carb cleaner (this also doubles as easy start) or if you cant pop the carb in an old saucepan and give it a 15 minute simmer in water. Try and remove the bowl gasket first as I guess you dont have a spare. You need to check the passageways in the carb and jets. Dont prod them with wire. When reassembling make sure you set the float height and set the carb back to factory settings. I know you have a bike manual. If you get carb cleaner read the guidelines on the tin, it is nasty stuff. If sprayed into the rear of the carb when trying to start it it does ignite. Good luck.

Thanks everyone for your help. Carb stripped, cleaned (albeit not sonic) put back on, all original settings etc. took a little bit of persuasion but fired up and I was able to set the idle properly too!

Don't want to speak to soon but I think it's done!!

• Like 1

Couldn't find a fuel filter by the way - I unscrewed the bottom of the petcock and the bowl was clean though.

Anybody got any ideas how to clean oil, petrol, grime and carb cleaner from the kitchen sink before SWMBO gets home? lol

• Like 1

Anybody got any ideas how to clean oil, petrol, grime and carb cleaner from the kitchen sink before SWMBO gets home? lol

Yep, clean it thoroughly.

Lets hope this has done it.

Fingers crossed!! Boys have only just gone to sleep but will attempt to start in a short while just to make sure it wasn't a fluke!