To Squires or not to Squires - that is the question (or one of them).

This post is 3715 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well it is 2014, Squires seems to still be for sale. There is no updated info yet on the annual 2 stroke rally - I know it is a little early. It seems that for 2014 they are going to charge for bike and tent camping.

The questions are;

Are we holding on for Squires to see what happens?

Are we going to tag along to a different event?

Are we going to start something new?

Should we just not be bothered?

There were 13/14 of us at Squires last year, I know that some were day trippers and some won competitions on a 4 banger but I just thought I would mix it up and ask. It may mean a different location or time of year.

All we need is something similar.

Any thoughts?

PS - it's not like I don't like the place but TBH everything could be a little better.

PPS - I will actually be going to Squires on Sunday to see a man about an engine so I may see what the score is.

Edit:

Could do more North, could do more south. The SV650 guys are going here this year LINKY They have a 3 bedroom, 15 person bunkhouse so no tents if that is preferred.

We could also wave at John across Hadrian's wall!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I like squires, OK the food could be better but Its all there with free camping too but TBH for me it's the 2 stroke rideout that is the attraction that particular weekend. The guys on the 2 stroke forum havent cast any doubts (yet) on the 1st weekend Sept.

BTW I might well go to the aircooled RD rally this year...fancy it?

One for Blackhat...John, have you heard anything about the fizzy rally this year?

Maybe we should have a plan B is squires ends up off I dont know, MFN or something?

Im open to suggestions, squires was good last year (aside from arriving late on the friday in the pissing rain, and returning on the sunday in the pissing rain) but i dont think i could bo more than 200 miles on a DT50, so squires is about as far north as id be willing to travel on my little 2-pop

Maybe a little premature of me?

Camping with a bike is now being charged for - £3 a night I think. Not the end of the world I know.

I popped up to the ACRD rally on the Saturday last year, I didn't camp or stay long but I did go. Lots of people stayed overnight. I have renewed my membership for this year and have plans to start on the RD soon(ish). That is why I am off to Squires on Sunday, to pick up a RD400 engine that needs rebulding. Are you thinking of camping or just a day trip?

TBH, the best parts of last years Squires for me was the trip back with you from Seaways and the rides up and back with Jason and Andrew.

lol the trip back from seaways, lost again on a dual carriageway with an overheating DT , happy days :spin2:

Aircooled rally if i go, camping just like squires Fri /Sun

Fizzy rally, that was ace, went with blackhat and we had some fantastic weather and rode out to the seaside at Bridlington...I'd love to do that again if I can ?

I enjoy the ride/race out with the two farts, and unfortunately couldn't camp as I was working next day.

If ac/rd rally is in Derbyshire again, that's a really nice area for riding in.

I think it's best to have something going on at the same time as that what adds to the event

I'm seriously thinking of going to the Haynes museum as I've never been there!

• Like 1

I don't have a classic bike, or a Yammy but rest assured I'll try my best to come along to whatever you plan this year.

Miles aren't a problem with my bike so don't have any preference on location if Squires is a no go. Granted I couldn't camp last year (work) but it would have been great to. Plus I still owe Kev a drink for being so kind and getting the round in last time!

We seem to have a few Southern based regular contributors to the forum (Noise, Mike, Slice), along with our token token Taffy (Welshy). I know it's a pipe dream, but ideally it would be great to see a few more attendees this time! Is there anything Midlands based? I know these things aren't easy to plan, but just thought I I'd throw it out there.

In essence, no burning desire / opinions from me, I'll go with the flow and am also happy to help out where possible! It was truly great meeting so many of you last year and would recommend it to anyone on the forum.

I really like squires it would be hard to find another place that offers the same for less and the atmosphere is great

I think anywhere we could get as many members as last year would be a fantastic weekend and if squires does go tits up I'm up for suggestion's maybe a yoc weekend in wale's! its not to far north or south.

I enjoy the ride/race out with the two farts, and unfortunately couldn't camp as I was working next day.

If ac/rd rally is in Derbyshire again, that's a really nice area for riding in.

I think it's best to have something going on at the same time as that what adds to the event

At the same place in Derby Rugby club. I think there are about a dozen 2 stroke fans coming from Germany this year!!!

yeah it was the same weekend mate what a scorcher, thats why I didnt go to the ACRD rally that time...missed it the year before too because the weather was atrocious

It is a pain when they conflict.

I'm seriously thinking of going to the Haynes museum as I've never been there!

I might join you Drewps, would be a good ride and depending in weather I could fit it in with a few nights camping...

• Like 1

I don't have a classic bike, or a Yammy but rest assured I'll try my best to come along to whatever you plan this year......

We seem to have a few Southern based regular contributors to the forum (Noise, Mike, Slice), along with our token token Taffy (Welshy). I know it's a pipe dream, but ideally it would be great to see a few more attendees this time! Is there anything Midlands based? I know these things aren't easy to plan, but just thought I I'd throw it out there....

I think any bike will do and people just turning up for the crack is good enough.

That's the trouble with the ACRD venue, it is half an hour down the road for the likes of you, Paul and me. There is no fear of seeing a piston popping out when you are 100 miles from home.

I think any bike will do and people just turning up for the crack is good enough.

That's the trouble with the ACRD venue, it is half an hour down the road for the likes of you, Paul and me. There is no fear of seeing a piston popping out when you are 100 miles from home.

True... Where's the fun in that... I rather enjoyed cruising past Paul on the way back to Squires last year.

Made up for him giving me a run for his money on the ride to Stafford. Bandit vs. YBR... Hmm...

Ha ha!

• Like 1

I might join you Drewps, would be a good ride and depending in weather I could fit it in with a few nights camping...

should have the fz mobile again by then, the A49 looks a good road down. Let you know in summer time, prob Tommy will come too

should have the fz mobile again by then, the A49 looks a good road down. Let you know in summer time, prob Tommy will come too

I'll have to borrow your pedals to keep up but sound good to me, a good chance to meet more Y.O.C.M's

The Haynes Museum is a cracker, its only a 5-10 min ride for me but would be more than happy to meet any of you guys or gals at a location and ride down to Haynes.

If not what ever events are on and im able to get to them i will do my best, but think id draw the line at 300miles poss 400.

I dont mind squires, something more to the south west (bristolish) would help with mervin etc.

Depends whats about, prob be the same crowd.