motorcycle care over winter/useing when can?

wallywant xj6s
This post is 3773 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, happy xmas & new year. I wont be using my xj6s much over winter so was asking in stead of storing for a few months do you think it will be ok to start up and run once or twice a week till I need to use it.as I don't want to put it to sleep for so many months. Many thanks for all reply's.

cheers xj6s.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, I'm now one of those old farts that retires the bike in September and wakes it up in April, use the car in the winter, to old for all this ice and rain crap, I start the bike once a month and charge the battery if it needs it, I always service the bike before it goes to sleep and then I know that it has new oil and filters and is ready to go at any time. When it comes out of hibernation I take it down for the new MOT and then I'm off and running for the next 6 months. Only thing I do that might seem strange is cover the end of the exhaust with a plastic bag to keep the moisture out as it will rot if you don't start it for a long time.

instead of running the bike, which unless it really hot, will promote moisture. the best thing to do is get a little oil heater and stick it under the bike over winter. Keeps the moisture out as it warms the bike up and keeps it that way.