Adventure time...!

bippo
This post is 3753 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Very excited... I have a few days off work and have been given 'permission' from the other half to go away on the bike for a few days before Crimbo, yay!!

Just need to plan the detail now... Nothing like an impromptu trip away on the bike. Very excited, ha ha!

• Like 2

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Thank Airhead, just need to think where to go... So many beautiful roads to ride and places to see. But I'm going to be logical about it and let the weather dictate!

More than likely staying in a B&B, although I haven't ruled out camping yet... I've done winter camping before (with a car) and am happy as long as it's dry and not windy.

Never done it with a bike though and that balance of packing / need for more clothing etc...

Hmm... I'll probably just end up in a B&B, actually, ha ha!

Shmowzow! Nice one Bippo. :) Enjoy!

I hear Southern Spain is pretty this time of year... !!

I run a very good B&B ;):eusa_whistle:

Always a warm welcome Bipps if your heading West.

• Like 1

I'm back! :hyper: Ended up in Cornwall - what can I say, I like the place!

I left a rainy Manchester on Friday, but the weather cleared up as I neared Birmingham. Anyway, 300 miles later and I hit Cornwall after sunset. The wind had really picked up and it was throwing it down again. Struggled in places as the wind was blowing me off course. Put it this way, I used to struggle with cross winds on my little YBR as it didn't have the weight, but after 6000 miles on the Tiger, this is the first time I found it a real issue.

Anyway, because I was running behind, I really didn't fancy pitching a tent in the dark and so checked into a hotel for the night. A good opportunity to dry off my bike gear.

Bright and early start on Saturday - took a scenic route to a supermarket for food supplies then made my way to the campsite. Needless to say, the campsite was incredibly lonely...! Just me in fact, plus the owners were in France. So definitely peaceful...

Tent pitched (in the wind and rain), items dropped off, and I was back out again for a general ride-about. It had cleared up again at this point, so was really nice taking in some fantastic roads.

Got back to my tent before darkness, which is where it got interesting. Sure you can imagine just how saturated the fields were with all the rain of late, even walking on the grass was ripping it up and showing just mud. I took it slow and made it to my tent, popped into neutral. Right foot was already on the ground. I went to put my left foot down as I needed to dig out my side stand puck and that's where it went wrong - my foot just slid on the ground and the bike reached the point of no return - uh-oh...! I couldn't support it and so had no choice but to guide it to the floor. This is the first time I've dropped a bike so went into immediate panic - my pride and joy!

Anyway, off with engine (as it was still running) and then began the mental will-power to bring a 210kg bike back upright. That wasn't easy I can tell you... But I did it , and the bike fired up first time (after I remembered I had flicked the kill-switch, durr...!) However, I was so relieved to see that the bike had zero damage on it, not even a scratch - suppose thats a good thing about dropping it on soft ground!

Well after that I tucked into the whiskey I'd bought in a hip flask. I had to cook in my tent as winds were reaching 30mph. One of the reasons I'd bought myself a tent with a large vestibule. Despite the weather the tent remained fully intact and I was more than warm. I'm also glad I had ear plugs to drown out the wind. Slept really well despite the elements - must have been the whiskey...! :spin2:

Sunday wasn't very fun at times, the gusts were just crazy and if you encountered a road running parallel with the wind it was just immense. But it's all good practice for me, so can't complain.

Anyway, I made my way home this morning, left at 1.30am as this was when the winds had died down and would remain calm until much later. Pretty uneventful ride home, I wanted to make good time so just stuck to motorways and was back at my house by 6.30am.

Despite the weather and my (embarrassing) drop, I really enjoyed myself! It's my intention to make the most of 2014 - with my first trip over the Channel via bike, completing an Iron Butt endurance ride, and as many UK camping trips as I can squeeze into the year. So all-in-all this was really good practice for me. It's allowing me to build up my stamina on a bike and get used to things like carrying luggage etc.

I know it isn't a Yammy, but I really can't fault the Tiger. Sure, it has some niggles (don't they all), but it really does swallow up the miles whilst effortlessly carrying luggage. I even used the in-build power adaptor for the first time to charge my phone - handy thing to have on camping trips.

• Like 7

Thanks Paul!

I have tomorrow off too thankfully, but yes back to the mundane routine on Tuesday.

I know - it wasn't easy - took me a while, and I did have to calm down and psych myself up. I have a photo on my iPad which I'll dig out - it looks like a baby elephant on the floor, ha ha! You'll also notice some ROK straps attached to it in one of my many attempts to pull it up when lifting wasn't working. If anyone was watching I'm sure it would have been quite a sight, ha ha! :hah:

There's no denying it - I was shaky when I got on the bike the next day, I just kept thinking about whether I'd be able to lift it again if I was to drop it again. Not a good mindset to have if I'm honest, but I shook that off after 30 miles or so.

It's all a learning curve - a well worthwhile trip if I'm honest.

Nice Bippo! You are a champion! I had a similar drop with hubby's VT1300... felt terrible, even though there wasn't any damage... But I sure as hell wouldn't have been able to pick it up by myself! Kudos to you!! :thumb:

Welcome back Bippo, sounds like you had a great time. And glad to see that you had some Whisky too, no road trip is complete with out it

Well done girl, you put me to shame. I dont even venture out if it looks like rain.......Well done again

Thanks all, you're too kind! Well here's my shameful picture of my bike taking a sneaky nap: 5ae61e96a6c6795f190bab38a0b38006.jpg But here's my bike upright again with nothing more than some mud on the left hand guard, sweet! I'm glad I fitted them actually - helped my gloves to stay drier than normal which is what you want when camping in weather like this - plus it kept my clutch lever nice and safe. 12f40eaf59bdd6a7a2944e0e14d9aedb.jpg And for you Yam lovers, check out this clean example I parked next to at Tesco: 282252726e39331a541ee7cc06145b0c.jpg And finally, my bike getting geared up after my first night in a hotel. Looks like a lot of stuff, but the tank bag was empty (bar money etc) so I could buy my food and drink en route. My tent and stool were in the bin bag on the bag seat - the tent doesn't pack down small! And the top box held clothes, toiletries, sleeping and cooking gear, with room to spare. So not all bad: 47119294f48bf720ec4723ed38089919.jpg

• Like 1

Yay, Cornwall is great for biking!

If I'd known you were headed down that way, I'd have recommended the campsite at Colliford Lake - Biker friendly and excellent facilities!

Interestingly, I also slipped over in Cornish mud, just as you did. Must be something in the soil! :lol:

Well done.

Apparently, the technique for lifting a fallen bike is;

back to the bike

down on your haunches

one hand on the uppermost bar

tuther under the seat or similar

straighten legs, and up goes bike

never had to try it though

Is that how you lifted it?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online