1986 fzr 400 problem

Adamjay90
This post is 3756 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi I have just bought a fzr 400 when I got it everything worked the next day the inca actors rev counter and the temp gauge , oil and neutral light have gone of the fuses just keep blowing and melting has anyone got a idea what might solve this also the battery is earthed to the chassis twice with I find dodgy but am stuck on this any help or info will be greatly appreciated thanks in advance

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If fuses keep blowing then the postive feed is grounded befor the lights,you need to look at the wireing and find where it is rubed through or possibly the key switch is bad ,,most likely it a rubed wire though.

Edit if the bulbs have all blown then check the grounding circut of the dash.

Check your voltage output to see if your regulator is working, it should output about 14.5 to 16 volts, any more and it's cooking the wiring.

Ok then as Slice said check the out put,but before you do that just put a new fuse in and turn the key on for 10 min if it blows then look at the wireing harness

Edit if the voltage reg was over charging you should have blown head light and tail ight as well

so you have a bad power wire grounded out befor the dash

Did the fuse blow before you turned on the igition switch? If so as dt502001 has said check the main Red lead going to the battery to make sure it hasn't worn through and touching earth. If it only happens when you turn on the ignition switch you need to check for shorts on the Brown wire from ignition switch. You may have to lift the tank too check the wiring and also check any wiring around the headstock area.

I will remove tank tomorrow and check wires should there be 3 wires running of the negative terminal of bat and only one from positive as I have never come across this with any ov my other bikes

Unless your chasing other problems than the dash lights removing the grounds wont help at all,the blowing of the fuse is caused by the circut pulling too much power.Re read what we have told you and do it if you want to find the problem.

Extra grounds could be for assesories ie heated grips,if you dont know what they are for then trace them back to where they go befor disconnecting them