Exhaust removal & replace.

wallywant xj6s
This post is 3765 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi.looking at removing my exhaust on my xj6s to clean up and paint and remove the stones that sit on top of the exhaust just before the box. Would you recommend that I replace the manifold gasket x 4 or could I reuse these? although my bike is approx. 30 months old but before I had it its been used in the British weather and tarnished it.also thing of replacing the nuts what hold the exhaust on to the manifold with stainless steel ones. Would this be wise do you think. many thanks. xj6s.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi wally " i would spray the studs the night before with WD . just so no sheared studs are gonna hold up refitting...

I am with airhead on this one. Copper grease is the way to go. I tend to use it on threads where I can. It makes stripping in the future so much easier, especially where there is an ally and steel mix.

Yep, I would replace the gaskets with new

Soak the nuts overnight first with Plusgas, use a 6 point socket if you can get one on the nuts. If they're fast, try workign them both ways a bit at a time, dont shear them or you'll have real big trouble

If you get them off, when ref-fitting use copper grease as the others have said

When the pipes are off and before re-fitting, just put a piece of screwd up rag in each of the ports to prevent any shite dropping in

Thank you every one as all sorted now, the old nuts were rusty and edges pretty worn so was lucky to get off with out any damage. so now all looking clean and with stainless nuts and while it was off I paint the front half of the engine with heat paint and to say it looks good if I may say so my self. cheers xj6s.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online