Metal sheds etc

Grouch
This post is 3765 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm going to be moving in the new year and I need to think about storage for my bike(s). I want to get at least two more bikes on top of my WR. I want a 125 2T and a crosser for the weekends. I've been looking at the metal sheds you can buy and they seem to be the best option. I would imagine that they are really thin and easy to break into. Does anyone have one, or something similar?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Few of my mates have them, and they seam to be pretty good, if your storing your bikes in there id suggest some motion sensors.

Word of warning tho, wear gloves when you build it as your cut your self less if they where made of razor blades ;)

Yup condensation, like an oven in the summer, and T leafs with tin openers.... :eusa_whistle:

A decent wooden shed on a concrete base with ground anchors probably a better bet.

You can get some wooden sheds that fit through a standard doorway if you don't have a side entrance. Not all wooden sheds do.

You can line a wooden shed or even a tin one come to that with rockwool battens to keep the damp out Grouch, they even do a spray on stuff for the roof panels.

depends on how much you want to spent,id suggest a bespoke built shed,ive bought a standard shed but 'uprated' the security on mine...bespoke door fitted with 2 5 lever deadlocks and 2 chunky padlocks.

so 4 defence mechanisms to get through....oh plus my staffy :doggy: to get past as well

Just a thought Grouch why not try and find a new place with a garrage,if your moving anyway then move to a place with the required essentials........fully wired man cave,stove, bed,washing machine,shower,place for guard dog..who need's any more than that?

depends on how much you want to spent,id suggest a bespoke built shed,ive bought a standard shed but 'uprated' the security on mine...bespoke door fitted with 2 5 lever deadlocks and 2 chunky padlocks.

so 4 defence mechanisms to get through....oh plus my staffy :doggy: to get past as well

Was thinking 3-4 hundred, that should get a decent shed?

Just a thought Grouch why not try and find a new place with a garrage,if your moving anyway then move to a place with the required essentials........fully wired man cave,stove, bed,washing machine,shower,place for guard dog..who need's any more than that?

Ideally I want a garage, that would be a result. And to be honest the kind of houses/neighbourhoodsmy girlfriend is looking at ill end up in a 5 bedroom detached with a double garage haha.

tbh you'll be stretching it abit even at 400 for a shed big enough for 3 bikes,bearing in mind you'll want to spend a few quid on decent security.

if you want quality and the size you want you'll be looking more at the 800-1000 pound mark.

its always worth checking ebay for 2nd hand sheds(there are some good quality ones out there),if your lucky you'll find a decent local one at the fraction of the cost of a brand new one

.............. and they can erect it professionally for me................

That sounds so wrong!!

Have a look here for examples - both wooden and metal - LINKY

• Like 1

That sounds so wrong!!

Meh heh heh heh...!

tbh you'll be stretching it abit even at 400 for a shed big enough for 3 bikes,bearing in mind you'll want to spend a few quid on decent security.

if you want quality and the size you want you'll be looking more at the 800-1000 pound mark.

its always worth checking ebay for 2nd hand sheds(there are some good quality ones out there),if your lucky you'll find a decent local one at the fraction of the cost of a brand new one

I bought a 10' x 10' shed last year cost about c£800, but then I had the hardcore, concrete base, wiring, insulation and finally lined the inside with sterling board. All in all it cost about £1300.

I've got 3 bikes in it at the minute (well 2 and a half built project), coupled with shelves and cabinet, there's no room left for doing any maintenance, work etc...

Oh wait, it's Grouch that wants the shed.....Strike my last sentence from the record...sorry mate :spin2::spin2:

• Like 1

If it were anyone else, I'd suggest buying a shed load load of old floorboards and frame timber and building your own :eusa_whistle:

You dont get much for your money with bought sheds these days, paper thin boarding, cheap tacky composite floor, rotten through in ten years

Always remember, buy/build the biggest shed you can cos it'll always be full and never big enough

• Like 1

A shed-thread!! :)

Something I cant resist!

As far as tin sheds go, be careful if its in an exposed position.

A friend of mine got one installed and two weeks later there was a storm and he found it in bits in a nearby field.

Luckily it happened before he'd got round to storing his beloved Ducati in it!

I would avoid buying cheepo sheds from the usual DIY and gardening outlets.

They're cheep because they've used the thinest and cheapest wood they can get away with.

As already said, if your looking for a decently constructed shed big enough to house 3 bikes then your looking around £1000 or so.

If you've got access to reclaimed wood in sufficient quantity then the DIY route is the way to go.

You can then make it to your own requirements and far cheaper too.

I recently made one to serve as bike storage and workshop.

Its an oddball size cos I wanted to maximise the space I had available.

Ordered all the wood direct from the timber yard and set too with a saw and nail gun!

Total outlay was about half of what I'd have spent on a similarly constructed pre-fabricated bought-in job.

But still cost me well over a grand, especially when all the electrics etc are included.

And just to prove that whatever you build, it wont be big enough!!.............

shed4_zpsb3dbf6d8.jpg

V.

• Like 1