riding through the winter

rock n ride
This post is 3791 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys and gals,has any one ridden there midnight stars through the winter in the UK ,I want to know how the blacked out parts and wheels hold up to the road salt.all ways used to ride my old draggy right through and the pitting and corrosion was terrible.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Give it a thorough cleaning.

Then give it a liberal coating of ACF-50.

Should be fine.

Fail to look after it and it will go all rusty-yuck - I speak from experience.

as above, but keep the acf-50 away from brake discs/pads etc

Yep, forgot to point that out!

this ACF 50 stuff, do you put it on the tank and engine as well as frame?

Well, I used to and it never caused any issues.

It's basically a spray-on barrier to keep the road crap away from your nice bike. It will get filthy as you ride, but the crap is sticking to the protective layer and not your bike, so don't go washing it until the roads and weather clear up a bit.

I have always ridden all my bikes all year round.

I just give the a really good clean and prep before winter, lube anything that needs lubing and oil anything that needs oiling. don't forget to do your cables.

spray a load of wd-40 type stuff on them and I spray it every where except disks and pads. every couple of weeks give it a jet wash with hot water and washing up liquid dry it then re-coat with the wd-40 stuff.

when winters over I clean it all really well then polish any thing that needs it, re-lube and oil things and change any badly damaged parts. I also go over the electrical connectors and clean them with connector cleaner.

maybe takes a day or two at start and end of winter

this ACF 50 stuff, do you put it on the tank and engine as well as frame?

absolutely, make sure the fluid is warm before spraying, it sprays out easier and covers better. I put it in a Hozelock hand held garden sprayer, then warm it up with a heat gun

Remember that it "creeps" after spraying, so keep well clear of brakes/discs, wipe/spread excess spray with brush or rag

I spray the ACF50 into its lid then apply with a brush and rag, more control over where it goes.

Like others have mentioned here, I spray wd40 or GT85 over vulnerable parts of the bike. I think GT85 is better than wd40 but most of the time its a bit more expensive to buy. If you HAVE to ride through winter then its your best bet. I got myself a winter bike because you can literally knock hundreds and hundreds of pounds of value off a bike riding all year round, plus chains, break callipers etc just end up knackered. GPZ500 can be bought for £500 and they're really tough and economical, worth thinking about.