shopping for mid-1970's Yamaha Enduro, what to watch out for?

threeputt
This post is 3641 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Thanks for the compliment but there is still lots to be done. I wish I were more familiar with this sort of thing. Speaking of which, I purchased a .pdf version of the 1975 DT250/400 service manual and the quality is horrible. Bought it from a fella on the e'bay but it wouldn't be proper to say from whom. The standard text is fuzzy at best and the smaller text on the pictures is useless. Does anyone know or can you recommend another venue to secure a legible copy? It sure would help!

I scored some repro turn signals from the Vintage Spoke in Kansas. They look perfect, and were way cheaper than old trashy originals. Haven't put them on yet, but that will happen soon. The wiring is still there it seems, at least three of them are. Have yet to locate the fourth.

Also waiting on a complete engine seal kit from Yambits in England. I haven't popped for fork seals just yet but that's on the list along with a rebuild kit for the oil induction pump. Brake shoes coming as well, the front are nearly gone and the back aren't too far behind.

The seat is fine. No rust that I can detect, at least not on the underside. Don't know if water has trickled in the holes and affected the inside. Fella I got it from said it was covered in decades worth of junk in the back of a garage. I'm watching for a seat cover, but not a high priority. As for now, I only plan to ride it on nice days. I wouldn't trust the electrics in the rain LOL.

I need to pop the wheels and have them trued and balanced. It's gets a little interesting above 50 MPH! It has taken a few spills over the years it would seem. The frame is true as far as I can tell, but the handlebar is canted slightly to the right. Not sure if I can loosen something and straighten that or not. Might be the forks are bent, but I can't tell by eyeballing it. I need to have it checked out at a local bike shop here.

As to the jetting, it is rich enough I think! Going down the highway at 50 or so, there is a very faint trail of smoke behind me. Nothing billowing, but at the end of a ride, a drop or two of oil will fall from my license plate! It's not fouling plugs, so I suppose it's better to err on the side of rich rather than lean...

Oh yes, 3400 and change on the odometer, but I'm not 100% convinced it's the original instrument cluster. The ignition key won't fit the steering lock so that's a head scratcher. I didn't think to check that when I went to see the bike originally. I would assume it would be the same key…?

Jeff

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ah jeff" if i mind, its a smaller key for steering lock. you can loosen all the fork bolts to square steering,, . Ibet its the true millage too.

as these were no cruisers . i"v never seen a high milage trail bike,, except Airheads,, :jossun:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

As he says" go for the bigger cc"s . as you"l have gained weight since 1975 . :hungry: . The 125 is rather slow compared with modern 125"s

Heres mine :rolleyes:

DT125038.jpg

Tell ya what Blackie, yours will look shit hot when it's finished.

Portugeuse Orange is the name of this paint, that's all the information I can dig up from Yamaha. Does anyone have any more information on this color? Who manufactured the paint, any color codes, other names, etc? I need to try to get some of it to re-spray the bottom of my tank. Acetoned the bad RedKote job out of the tank to redo it and it took a little paint with it where the petcock goes. I have a guy trying to eyeball a match, but more information on this color would be helpful! Any other forums where I might posit this question would be good to know as well.

Thank you,

Jeff

A decent paint shop will get the match, they have digital photo copy camera"s, takes a close up of colour,.

Her was the UK portu-Orange,,

Cool video, looks like you have fun on them. I found a little more info, the Yamaha paint code for Portuguese Orange was 00N7 (zero zero N 7), and it is/was a ColorRite paint. Haven't contacted ColorRite yet, but the paint guy I know says he can match it anyway. I appreciate the help as always!

Jeff

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online