1994 dtr125 winter project

georgen
This post is 3677 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well bike now down inlaws garage as some known undesirables were seen hanging around and its not worth the bother to fix what they break whilst trying to get it over my 10ft garden wall, at least its out of the weather and somewhere I can strip down without the worry of where to keep everything. I also ordered a set of Yz USD forks and yolks for it so they should come tuesday. still cant decide whether to do frame black or the same yellow as wheels, blue has also crossed my mind lol. Bike is to be black, but wheels staying yellow.

Fitted the new top bearing cup and the new taper bearing 320/28 then trial fitted the forks, the bottom bearing from the yz forks are not compatible with the dtr bottom race, the bottom taper bearing if it was complete for the yz is 52mm od, 30mm id and 16mm high. the Dtr bottom race is 55mm od and since the dtr bottom bearing was completely shot I didn't bother removing to check id. so now will order a new taper bearing for the bottom, 55mm od, 30mm id, 16 high so thats going to be a 32006 bearing.

006_zps529ce0e3.jpg

007_zpsf8f7e17a.jpg

004_zps770eaf4b.jpg

009_zps7061d1d0.jpg

Picked up the new bottom taper bearing and carried on where i left off, this time the forks went on no bother, forgot to take my camera so will have to update pics later

• 2 months later...

Well managed to get down to bike and do some work on it today, work has been manic and still is. Thought I better pull my finger out before I have to rename my thread lol. Well continued to strip it down for powder coating. then It came to the point of removing the suspension linkage from the frame, Jesus Christ took over an hour with a club hammer, 1x 12" half inch extension and a punch are now toast and the offending bolt, had to use heat and still had to club it to death. here's a couple of pics.

007_zpsf8f7e17a.jpg

002_zps5f8a39c2.jpg

003_zpsc190a276.jpg

004_zps69a10229.jpg

013_zps20fccd1c.jpg

015_zps7bb013ae.jpg

016_zpsa800ea14.jpg

Heres the offending bolt

011_zps59a42ba5.jpg

010_zpsce73ac17.jpg

And it bent making it a right **** to get out as socket no longer fitted over

012_zpsdef74406.jpg

I was just going to clean the rough edges off with a file but since it bent looks like I will have to replace it :spin2::spin2:

Lol. Oh dear. Yep that's only good for one thing now.

Still gotta admire you getting it out lmao. I'm not sure I could have.

What are you going to do about the fork extension mate? I'm planning on tack welding mine in place before I powdercoat it.

Are you keeping the wheels Yellow? Or you going to do something exotic?

I've seen a chap on eBay same wheels as mine with his RS had his wheels painted. And they look so awesome. Definitely going to get mine done at some point.

Just going to use some bearing fit, its a bit like threadlock, then once its set up cant come out and mines a nice fit, keeping wheels yellow to start and see what its like, might change them later but I like the yellow :spin2::spin2:, I have a new linkage for it but im still missing the small lock bolt so get my mate to make one for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you noticed the unusual high level of ebay sellers that are dickheads at the moment, I bought a seat advertised no rips or tears, lovely seat apart from the small rip in the side, he blamed courier but i have the box and when viewed from inside is unmarked, then I found a mint rear shock at a decent price, when delivered and opened clearly a different shock to advertised and a piece of rusty shit.

rant over, I have bought lots of nice button head stainless bolts to replace all nuts and bolts when i rebuild and a new 2k tank to refit as someone in its past removed and pre mixed and a complete new exhaust.