Heated handlebar grips.

waterfalls
This post is 3801 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I now practice riding nearly 2-3 hours on my YBR125.

But today was decidedly was feeling cold in fingers. Perhaps its my age.

On market there are wide range from Oxford heated grips around £80 to cheap Chinese heated one at £5 which you wrap around your existing bar grips and then put a shrinking sleeve on top.

Any personal experiences would be appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I wouldn't buy a cheap kit. Oxford ones are OK. A decent set work quite well and the difference is noticeable.

Another (and better if you can handle the ribbing) way of keeping your hands warmer are handlebar muffs.

On my X-mas list as well. Lots of them on offer on the Bay but I'd shy away from 2nd hand/previously used. Aren't the grips glued to the handlebars ?

Brand new in box would be the ones to go for.

Are they one size fits all ?

Some 125s have trouble with getting enough power to the grips.

Be mindful of this and read up a bit.

There is a great post on here (by Toutsuite, I believe) about how to calculate the exact outputs and whether you have enough to add hot grips in. I have a bookmark to it, but it's at work and I won't be back for a few days. Maybe someone else can oblige?

I got it wrong - It was actually Gizmo who explained it (sorry Giz, but it was 2 years ago!):

I have been working on putting together a complete map of the 650 Electrical system
with wattages,etc so folks understand a bit better exactly how much you can add and
what you can expect to be the outcome of adding extras.
The following items on the bike use the power constantly:
Headlight - 55W
Taillight - 8W
Front Running lights - 16W
Speedo light - 2W
Ignition Coils - 72W
Ignition Module - 20W
This means that under normal running conditions the bike will use at least 173W of
power.According to the test data from Electrosport in their comparison of their stator to
the stock one, the stock system puts out
169W at idle(1200RPM) and 221W at 5000RPM.
Yamaha states that the stock system puts out 280W Max so most bikes will fall between
the 221W and 280W marks.
Here are some additional power usages:
Signalling - 28W
Braking - 27W
Carb Heaters - 60W
Passing lamps - 60W (smaller units) - 110W (larger lamps)
The carb heaters kick in when the temps are lower than 12 degrees Celsius.What this
means is that the bike will consume 173W + 60W = 233W of power when the carb
heaters are on.
My 2000 Classic puts out something like 235W-240W at 5000 RPM which is barely
enough to keep the system running without using the battery while highway riding only.
At idle, the charging system cannot keep up and an additional 64W are drawn from the
battery. I have a battery monitor on my bike and was able to verify the above. I'm sure
the “My battery died” posts are going to start now that the weather is getting cooler and a
lot of folks falsely blame the battery when it is actually the weak charging system and too
many electrical accessories that are to blame. Bottom line is that if you ride in temps
lower than 12 degrees Celsius, you had better not run your passing lamps or any other
extra lights or you will drain the battery and have difficulty starting.

Hope that helps!

• Like 1