Oil/Fuel Mixture For 78 Yamaha DT175

InFuZiOn
This post is 3782 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just picked up this bike off a buddy of mine but unfortunately he tried to make it straight motocross so it's missing the gauge cluster, ignition, turn signals, rear brake light, an air filter, and some good cleaning. It originally needed a throttle cable as well so I cleaned out the Mikuni carb and installed the new cable. The bike ran great for the first time yesterday but I'd like to put in fresh fuel/oil mixture as well as gear oil but am not sure which mixtures and brands to go with since it's a vintage bike and I was told each bike is specific. I appreciate any help here. I posted a few pictures too :)

velwdg.jpg

IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/2qn8tw9.jpg

33jl0tc.jpg

akefdj.jpg

2i8vzax.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well what's funny is that he told me it wouldn't run but would turn over and needed at LEAST a throttle cable....well it needed a cable and the carb put together PROPERLY and she turned over nicely. Not bad for a $250 investment so far I'd say. I'm just ready to go to the store and get the oil and keep checking this thread for replies!

I had one of them was my first ice bike ran mine as Airhead said 40:1 on standard oil and 50:1 on synthetic.

for the gear box any brand 2stroke gear box oil will do I used Bel Ray as it was the races choice of oil back then.

I would suggest getting a air filter on it even a cone style would be better than nothing,but if you can put the box back on.

Ps it's nice if you do a intro in the new members section,you know hi I am and I ...............

Intro post made!!

Also Airhead if you don't mind I've got like a million and a half questions for you about parts for yours. It appears they cut off that back metal piece where the rear blinkers went and the rear fender is pretty trashed too but I've got a friend who owns an automotive part "dipping" shop that will do the entire bike(frame, plastics, wheels) for $100 in any color in any finish!

That looks more like a proper enduro bike...an IT175, your luck's in :)

I'd mix it at 40:1 myself but lets see what others say.

Use a quality 2 stoke oil. I would try and use an oil pump, despite what people think, they are reliable. 40:1 with a synthetic oil sound good to me. If you are going to use cheap mineral 2 stroke I would run it at around 33:1.

It is important not to run it without an air filter of some kind. It will run so lean it will hole the piston very quickly.

What's the VIN# I'll see if I can identify it.

I'd say an IT too.

Post up the first few numbers of the VIN. Not the whole number leave the last 3 digets out.

After looking at the pictures I'd definitely have to agree it looks more like an IT175. Is that a more rare bike or something? Let me go write down the vin number.

And so to be sure, I'd use 40:1 in the gas tank as the mixture(I'll get an oil pump later if possible), and a high-grade 10W-30 oil in the engine block itself? Also any suggestions on what size air filter I'd need for the carb? I got a uni 42mm but it's too small and appears to be the size of the opening on the carb exactly?

2W6-000*** ? Something like that?

Not sure on the filter. you need to measure across the carb inlet and see what is on ebay. The filter needs to be damped down with 2 stroke oil also. Ramair should have a model to fit.

Some parts info here LINKY

(I'll get an oil pump later if possible),

Pump should be behind r/h engine cover, may just need piped, wheres the oil tank,, thats a IT 175 Alright.. :yeah:

Don't see an oil pump or tank at all on it? Pretty sure it was removed.

So is that a yes on 10w-30 in the sump and 2-stroke high grade in the gas tank for now though? Ready to start draining the oil over here! :P

I'm confused now because I'm here at the store but don't see anything besides a basic Valvoline stuff for 2 strokes but that has a blending guide so I'm thinking it's not far the engine itself. Am I wrong there?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online