R6 de-restriction

Robbie
This post is 6041 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys I'm new to this forum as I am new to Yamaha's.

Got a query about getting rid of a dam restriction kit from my YZF-R6. Bought it the other week in mint condition but with one minor hitch - a 33bhp restrictor as the previous owner was under 21 years old (lucky git) :D . Unfortunately I feel its sacralige to have this bike like this, so it must go. Anyone got any ideas on what is in the restriction kit and how to get rid of it.

Cheers

Robbie

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Got a query about getting rid of a dam restriction kit from my YZF-R6. Bought it the other week in mint condition but with one minor hitch - a 33bhp restrictor as the previous owner was under 21 years old (lucky git) :D . Unfortunately I feel its sacralige to have this bike like this, so it must go. Anyone got any ideas on what is in the restriction kit and how to get rid of it.

Cheers

Robbie

Usually restrictor kits are a set of shims (effectively large washers) that are put in the inlet trumpets to restrict the amount of air that can be sucked in. Take these out and you should be ready to go :)

Sorry to be a bit stupid :icon_redface1: but what part of the air intake system or carburetors are these cos I can't find this term or work out an equivalent that could be used in the old faithfull - Haynes manual.

Cheers

Robbie

Sorry to be a bit stupid :icon_redface1: but what part of the air intake system or carburetors are these cos I can't find this term or work out an equivalent that could be used in the old faithfull - Haynes manual.

Cheers

Robbie

Look at the rear of the carbs where the air comes in from the air box and filter. These are the trumpets.

Rob......... :D

Usually restrictor kits are a set of shims (effectively large washers) that are put in the inlet trumpets to restrict the amount of air that can be sucked in. Take these out and you should be ready to go :)

Hey guys will hopefully be taking these out on friday but just so I dont waste mine or my mates time is this definately where the restriction is?

Is there any chance that yamaha have put in a new modified diaphragm or washer on the diaphragm into the carb stopping the air pin coming out all the way?

Sorry to ask again but just making sure.

Regards

Robbie

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys

Started on the de-restriction today and came across some problems: mainly that the type of restriction was different.

On the R6 there are 2 types of restriction.

1 - Some have what is discussed earlier on in this thread

2 - Some have plates put on the throttle lever next to the carbs that stop it moving fully and also a plate at the back of the carbs to slow down air. The carbs have to be taken off completely and rebalanced etc. for this to be completely removed.

Just for future reference.

Regards

Robbie

• 1 year later...

Cheers

Robbie

• 4 weeks later...

The R6 and Fz6 have essentially the same engine cams differ but the restrictor on the fz6 was a plate mounted to the side of the carbs which stopped the throttle openin fully ....... If you notice that there is not a lot of travel or twist on your throttle it could be the same thing and the best part is you could have it off an riding in twenty mins... what a difference!!!

• 2 months later...

I had a 03 r6 that was restricted, i took it to a friend in a garage, it took him maybey half an hour to get the big washers out and 5 minutes to get the throttle stop off by from what i remember by bending it off! no damag to anything, and wow what a difference! :ph34r:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online