wide back wheel on a 650 dragstar

beemer328
This post is 3795 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am sort of getting ideas for a new project, I have decided it has to be the 650 dragstar and one of the mods I would like is a wide rear end, I know the guy who started the 125 slagging off thread will tell me it should not be done, but has anyone on here done it or seen one done. Cheers, Gary

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Stabilisers would make the rear end wider... Just kidding.

I would imagine part of the problem is going to be with the shaft drive, I am not sure how much clearance there is with the existing swing arm, but I suppose you may be able to get a wider rim laced to the existing hub.

To be honest its a pretty chunky rear wheel already for the size of the bike

Its been done and dose look good, i was planning on doing it with my bobber but then started looking into it and it got very pricey. There is a firm in Germany that sell a bigger rim, and there are firms that sell bigger ones that need new swing arms etc but your looking at about £1500-£2000 for it, then there is the price of a new 230 tyre and hunting one down and getting it fitted.

Here is that German site

http://www.motorrad-burchard.de/pages/produkte_en.php4?produktwahl=felgen6.00x15XVS650dragstar

Thanks for the replies guys, yes I did wonder about the driveshaft, nothing is mentioned in the link from Noise, cheers for that mate. It looks awesome but as you said, it is bloody expensive, I think I may have to got the route of biggest tyre that will fit on a stock rim and see how that looks. Thanks again gents

• 2 weeks later...

Always good to know.

question tho? why would you want to lower the draggy? its already quite a low bike ha ha

I am sort of getting ideas for a new project, I have decided it has to be the 650 dragstar and one of the mods I would like is a wide rear end, I know the guy who started the 125 slagging off thread will tell me it should not be done, but has anyone on here done it or seen one done. Cheers, Gary

If you don't mind it steering like an absolute barge then power to you buddy. It can be done. Probably easier and cheaper on the chain drive cruisers though, that'd be the Honda Shadow and Kawasaki Vulcan. Would be a bit of a dog to do it on the draggie with that shaft drive and monoshock softail suspension.

It is do able.

index_zps868f8f3d.jpg

Bloody hell Noise, that is one odd machine. Yeah RatBob, I get your meaning on the handling issues having followed a Victory round country lanes and a couple of roundabouts but it would be for mainly riding to and from shows and sunny days out. I have done with my days of trying to remove my kneecaps on the twisty bits.

Bloody hell Noise, that is one odd machine. Yeah RatBob, I get your meaning on the handling issues having followed a Victory round country lanes and a couple of roundabouts but it would be for mainly riding to and from shows and sunny days out. I have done with my days of trying to remove my kneecaps on the twisty bits.

I dunno man, I know a guy who used to ride a Victory and he could throw that thing around! Mind you he did have an MT-01 prior to that, so that probably says something. It's not that you can't have fun on it, it's just not my type of bacon anymore. I went the other way around you see... started off loving cruisers and bobbers and realised that actually I enjoy sportier riding position and performance.

I'm a bit biased because I absolutely loathe the OCC style, raked chops and fat rear tyres. To me if a bike is not really practical then it's not really rideable, but each to their own. Not everyone is as madly absorbed with purebred biking as I am. I have no beef with people who choose to ride on a fat tyre, they beat a car driver any day of the week.

• 3 weeks later...

I have always been a lover of chops and customs even with cars, I have had quite a few streetrods and old classic yanks (not the shyte the kids call customs these days) I am also a big Harley fan but cant justifie the extra cost over a jap bike.