Squeaky forks

jackm20010
This post is 3810 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

On my YBR 125 I noticed today while on my way home that my forks were squeaking, its not too bad and isn't herd under slight compression it was more when I stopped and pushed down hard on them, anyone have any ideas or should I leave it as its not doing it all the time.

Thanks Jack

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Have you got any leaks? Up the fork leg for instance where the seal goes up and down. If it's squeaking and it didn't used to squeak then you have a problem, might be nothing major, could be just a loose nut or bolt, I would check/tighten all the nuts and bolts first to see if that makes any difference, don't forget to check that any of the cables aren't rubbing or chaffing against anything as well, some fork springs do squeak inside the lower tube if they are rubbing against the inside of the fork tube usually means that the oil is low/leaking, that's why I said does it leak. Try those things first and come back if that don't fix it.

The fork seals are fine, nothing seems to be wrong with them, I only noticed it as I pushed hard on them so im guessing it was like where it was on the last bit that It caused it to squeak as they where near full compression if this is possible ?

If you can just push it to full compression then there is a problem, you should be able to squash them down a bit but all the way is unusual to say the least. It might be best if you were to get someone to have a look at them for you, your local bike shop might be able to tell you if there is anything wrong. The springs do loose some of their springiness? over the years and can become permanently compressed but that only happens if they are under stress all the time I think. How loud is this squeak? is it just a chirrup or is is a full blown graunch noise? that might give you some idea as to how bad or not it is. Not trying to worry you here just trying to get a handle on the actual problem

Mine did it for a week or so then just stopped on it's own.
Still don't know what caused it.

yeah they don't bottom out while riding I was just at lights with my mate rocked the bike and pushed fairly hard and they squeaked, it wasn't a loud noise was more of a chirp, I haven't look recently to see if it is still their bike is still %100 and hasn't felt different in the handling.

Ok then I should not worry about it then, it's probably a one off, if it starts to do it again or all the time then you might need to strip them down and have a look but otherwise leave it alone and enjoy your ride.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online