Legal Advice...please

TheSaffer
This post is 3811 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

I have recently had my 2004 R1 in for repairs with my local bike mechanic.

Tonight I noticed a whining noise coming from the engine and then all of a sudden the sound of metal rolling around inside the engine.

So being curious, I started the engine up again and it sounded ok-ish, but then when I wanted to switch it on again, it will not turn the engine over.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have put a clip on youtube where you can hear the whining noise before you cold hear metal rolling around.

http://youtu.be/Zvz6LQxg7t8

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Saffer

I would say you contact the original garage. Plan what you want to say (even to the point of writing it all down), do not lose your rag no matter how annoyed you get. Give them a chance to diagnose the fault and see what they're going to do about it. Then take it from there. If no joy contact either citizens advice centre, or even trading standards and go from there.

But first contact the original garage

Ha" that pitza boy left you for dead.. :hah: . how recent was the work done, how many miles since,,, they"l look for any excuse,

And is it the clutch,, or starter/// they"re work, :eusa_think: ,,

If you phone them you must record the conversation; in fact all communication with them, whatever the form must be recorded so that they can't change or backtrack on what they say.

hmmm, I have now connected a battery pack to the bike and she starts up fine.

The problem is that when I remove the battery pack, the dreaded error code 46 comes up.

So this makes me think that the fault is not at all related to the work the mechanic has done. The stator might have come off and that was what I heard as metal parts rolling around the engine. Just hope it was the only damage done.

Will recover it on Monday morning and take it to a garage. (A different dealer)

If you really want legal advice talk to a solicitor a lot of car motorcycle home insurance AA RAC cover etc have access to a legal advice centre even if they won’t act for you, even you union if you are in one might help.

Never and I do mean never ever act on what’s his names advice whose dads uncles cousins mom had the same problem.

Everyone knows someone that knows someone that said this is how it is; fact is any 2 people in court both expect to win but one of them wont.

Let the guy have a chance to see what it is and if it is related to what he did or not, and don’t burn his garage down it might have nothing to do with him.

I am an engineer myself and the first thing most people say when I get to a broken machine is well it was working yesterday or this morning or even before they went for brake.

Always remember everything that is broken was usually working just before it broke, I am not saying you didn’t have shoddy workmanship it happens but you do need to make sure of your facts first.

burn the garage down, it is your only option...... :madflame:

I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit... it's the only way to be sure!!

But yeah, see what they say. If it's their fault, you might get some compensation or some fancy extras, free servicing or who knows...

Just an update.

The alternator magnet came out and mashed up everything else.

Cost of new repair : £909

Thats just under 2k spent on this R1 in one month!

Just hope that there is nothing else left to break now...

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 4

Just an update.

The alternator magnet came out and mashed up everything else.

Cost of new repair : £909

Thats just under 2k spent on this R1 in one month!

Just hope that there is nothing else left to break now...

ouch

I just want to know if it was possible that the generator was damaged when work was done on the starter?

Seems odd that the generator magnets came out just days after the starter (parts) was replaced.

Anyone?

Posted Image

I would say that if they had to take the generator out when they fixed the starter then almost certainly they are the cause of the damage, but if they just removed one part and replaced it then no they are not responsible. You have to find out what they removed to get the original problem sorted and go from there.

I thought it was odd that the magnets came loose to begin with,not something that happens to altenators unless they get droped hard. Most altenators get re built several time using the old magnets.

I haven't worked on a r1 so I can't say if it's a problem but I haven't hear of it happenninng, I would take the time to search the R1 forum and see if it has happened before.

Get them to fix it and then, pre-payment, take off and nuke their entire site from orbit... it's the only way to be sure!!

I'll try and run this past my mechanic-friend, as he's a big fan and former owner of R1s

I asked... but he said he'd have to actually see it in person to ascertain how the damage occurred.

You're not anywhere near Reading, are you?

No I'm not. Thanks anyway.

I'm going to pick it up and see exactly what the problem was.

Thanks very much again.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online