Project 86 FZ600 - "Black Yamba"

feliks
This post is 3567 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

This will be an ongoing build thread of my 1986 FZ600 project. I have yet to decide on a name...so that is still TBD. I mainly just wanted a place to track my progress...get help along the way... and maybe get some feedback from other enthusiasts.

Here she is, the day I got her home, I couldn't lift it off the truck by myself, but I was so excited I had to hop on and pretend I was cruising anyway. :D

firstday.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

First came the easy stuff.... oil change, spark plug change, rewire spark plugs so they were in the right order (PO had them all messed up), flush gas, seafoam gas and oil...and then did another oil change after driving it around for a bit.

Now, I'm working on the paintjob and fixing the fairings (you can see the lower left isn't even attached here). They are all cracked, fiberglassed from behind, and in pretty rough shape. I've welded the plastic cracks, sanded, and spot puttied them, and they're in for primer now. Doing some back and forth spot-putty/primer to get them nice and smooth before I hit them with a final coat of gloss black. Then, I'm going to try my hand at airbrushing some realistic flames. I've done airbrushing in the past, but nothing this big...should be a good challenge.

Here's a video of the crack fixing, I ended up using a slightly better method after I recorded this, and that was to put the cable tie in between the soldering iron tip, instead of on the outside, it melted it nicely while the outside of the iron melted the fairing plastic.

your doing a nice job there.

My Fz is poorly ATM as the carb/petrol tap was letting fuel into the bores and causing oil to wash away :(

That's not good! I got lucky with this bike... I purchased it for $900 not even seeing it running... but the guy seemed trustworthy, it was an older gentleman and he just didn't want a "crotch rocket" anymore...as he said. So I got it, bought a battery, and it fired up. I have done some tinkering with it to get it running good, and it leaks and burns a bit of oil, so it will be a winter project to take it apart and fix whatever's causing that. Until then, I'm doing what I can! I've spent the day smoothing out the fairings the best I could and painting the purple stripes on the front fairing black. Last piece to paint is the gas tank.

Started toying with some ideas here....I covered up the purple stripe with silver... looked pretty good.

IMG_5021.jpg

But I wanted clean, plain, black....no silver lines. So I took everything off and got started!

IMG_5034.jpg

After I welded the plastic back together, I gave it a good sanding and started with the spot putty.

IMG_5046.jpg

More sanding and putty.

IMG_5048.jpg

Primer...

IMG_5056.jpg

After final coat of primer!

IMG_5057.jpg

Black painted on the uppers, still needs clear coat.

IMG_5053.jpg

Spent some time last night on her rear end.... :D

Removed the ugly alien eye looking signals, and the whole back/bottom contraption that held the license plate, signals, and reflectors, and then added some 3W LEDs in their place, it looks so much better to me. Will post some shots up once I get the wiring cleaned up.

Spent some time last night on her rear end......hahaha

your going to get on just fine around here with this crowd. we will have to get together for a ride and some beers

Ps: the bike is comming along quick

:D Everyone likes a sexy rear end! I just couldn't stand looking at those alien eyes sticking out of the side...haha

Yeah man any time! Well weather permitting...and I'm not "allowed" to ride at night yet....still on my M1.

Here's some finished shots of the new signals, license plate holder and light.

light1.jpg

light2.jpg

light3.jpg

light4.jpg

All put back together...

Next up is to finish painting the fairings! Just waiting for my paycheque to get in so I can go buy some paint... :D

Looks good I was thinking the sig's would be to hard to see over the tail light,but they seem to be easy to see.

I was thinking that too, I originally had some LED running lights I was going to use but they weren't going to be bright enough, so I used these 3w amber "eagle eye" LEDs instead. Mounted them as high up as I could to separate them from the brake light as much as I could. I'll take some daytime shots or maybe a video, see how good they actually show up outdoors.

I think I may add two more to each side, to make an arrow shape, then there will be 3 for each signal, should be plenty bright enough then! I've go some more I can steal off my Ram... :D

So I've decided I'm going to go with a smooth LineX finish on the fairings and gas tank, but in the meantime, I got rid of all the purple. Yay!

black.jpg

Looking really good man, those rear indicators (or blinkers in your lingo) are the ones im after for my bike. Some reason i cant see any of your pics here are work so i can only see your vids but so far its coming on great

Thanks! I uploaded them to my server at feliks.ca, guess your company blocks it!

...and we call them "signals" here. :D I don't think 1 pair is bright enough for the daytime though, I'd put at least 2 or 3 per signal. An arrow shape would work great I think! I'm either going to do that, or replace them with some other lights I have here...if they'll work.

Why would you want to put linex on it is a PITA to get off when you need to fix the body work,the bike looks good now.

and if you want to sell it later might put some off,I would be.

Lots of guys are running the signals like the way you have it now ,I ridden with a fewe guys and didn't have any problem seeing them,but they were running them under the light with a led strip for a tail light/brake so they were the biggest lights.