Project 86 FZ600 - "Black Yamba"

feliks
This post is 3589 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I kinda like it but it needs a hugger and relocatin the battey..a nice aluminum cover or carbon fiber to hide all the electrics and blend into the air box, a thin strip below the tank to the tail, just down to the upper frame rail,to clean up the look.

seen that before and there's a build thread with it.

not my scene the street fighter look with the raised rear end.

Yeah that's where I found it, the build thread: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32042

I personally love it....but to each their own right? :D

aye, world would be boring otherwise

I like the look of that too, but id say not to cover up the battery etc, i personally like the bare minimum look but just make sure its all water proof in some way.

After looking through his thread i actually liked it more naked. you would have to move the clocks up or get a nice set of didgital clocks and a new set of smaller double head lights but i think that would look wicked.

Should be a good project

This bike does look great naked...however, it's so small that it just looks funny when you ride it with no fairings. I may play around with some options as I build...it won't end up looking exactly like his anyway, I'm using a different rear piece and tail light as well as mine will be black! :D

• 2 weeks later...
Got the rear end apart for some modification!
11298894453_250e5304dd_c.jpg
First I marked off where I was cutting:

Then I cut!

11298789555_2393595632_c.jpg
Other side is next, then grind & sand the welds smooth, then paint!

Yer good idea mate, powder coat is the way to go.

powder coaters will blast it anyway.

I learned that if you are getting people to do some work, let them do it all or any issues will be down to your prep!

If you can weld then fix that ugly exhaust hanger,just looks wrong,a smaller piece of flat bar welded or ali wraped and bolted as you've removed the passenger pegs then it only has to hold up the pipe so light and small will do and look more custom than choped IMO

Did you get the tail piece yet so we can get a sneek peek at what your going for.

Looks like friday will be a wash for dover,last friday would have worked but with the ammount of snow we got in the last day and -13 + Wind chill I think I'll stick to driving the truck or sled for the next few months+ your bike dosent look like its going anywhere soon.

For the cost the powder coating place wanted to do this job I just picked up some rollbar and chassis paint...stuff is pretty durable, we'll see how it lasts. When / if I take the engine out, I'll get the entire frame powder coated black along with the back piece, but for now this should work. I sanded and grinded what rust off I could, washed it really good with some scrub pads and dish soap, and started painting.... doing this in my basement and my wife is already yelling at me, LOL :D It's too cold for the paint to stick good outside right now though...she said wait till spring, I laughed....

And I can weld, but I don't have a welding machine here, but....my brother in law does.... Anyway the bracket should look ok when the exhaust in the way, we'll see once I get it mocked up on the bike!

Yeah this week's not looking good... I'll take a cruise around in my truck and see if any crazies made the trip.

First coat of paint is on:

11311705583_401b8993fe_c.jpg

LOL funny how women can spray poop purie all around and think it smells good,,, but a wee bit of paint fuems and they go off :crazy::biglaugha: some gas fuems and paint smell better to me,throw in some penetrating/degreaser fluid fuems and I'm at home :spin2: wood stove burning hot with some deer steaks on and I'm in heaven

Well if any nutters show up on thier bikes get some picts,its supposed to snow for the next 3 days average high -9 low -14c hwy 3 will be a skateing rink at best.

LOL funny how women can spray poop purie all around and think it smells good,,, but a wee bit of paint fuems and they go off :crazy::biglaugha: some gas fuems and paint smell better to me,throw in some penetrating/degreaser fluid fuems and I'm at home :spin2: wood stove burning hot with some deer steaks on and I'm in heaven

You're welcome round mine anytime DT - no air fresheners or poop pure in my house, wreaks heaven with my nose!! Ha ha!

lol!

Finished up the paint for the back piece... now to remount it! Also got my battery strap cable and some exhaust gaskets in from Parts N More in Stratford - only took a few days for shipping and they have almost anything you can think of for vintage Japanese bikes! AND got my entire petcock rebuild kit in but since I last took it apart it hasn't leaked...so now I have a spare kit for when it does again.

Here's how the paint looks, turned out OK:

11312913356_306daaba20_c.jpg

Looking good man! Always handy to have a spare bit in the House just in case. Better to have than not to have. ;)

Thanks buddy, and you're right, always good to have spares!

Mounted the back end back up...looks so much better already without those ghastly foot pegs and bungee cord holders.