Project 86 FZ600 - "Black Yamba"

feliks
This post is 3588 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

ch-restore-oil-engine-restorer-lubricant

Did the "Engine Restore" treatment to the bike today. She goes through about half a quart of oil every 200kms...which is pretty excessive, and I don't really want to tear the engine apart to do rings or anything but if I have to I will....but I figured I'd give this stuff a shot first.

I followed the instructions for wet-clutch 4 stroke motorcycles, which I have...and that was:

1. Pull all 4spark plugs
  2. Used a turkey baster to insert about a teaspoon of "Engine Restore" into the spark plug holes
  3. Put the bike in 6th gear and rolled it forward for about 50m (just pulled the clutch in and rolled back, let the clutch out and slowly pushed the bike forward) - this is to coat the cylinder walls with the restore stuff
  4. Put spark plugs back in
  5. Pull bike outside
  6. Put it in neutral and start it up! Let it idle for a few minutes and then take it for a ride, there was quite a bit of smoke, which I expected, and that subsided after about 5 minutes of riding

Right away I can feel an improvement in throttle response and idle smoothness. Time will tell if this stuff works. I'll let you guys know how it goes!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Windscreen came in today! Good news, FZR400 windscreen of the same year fits the FZ600 - saved myself $60 with this gamble! Mounting it up now...bottom two nuts are a pain to get on with the fairing installed.

Cracking!

Least now if that questions ever pops up about if those screens fit we all know the answer now ha ha

Great job man

Aftermarket, no markings on it at all.... here's the link:http://www.ebay.com/itm/131026840452?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

great link, £12.50 with free delivery to uk :)

as Hong Kong was a former UK colony I can usually get this within a week believe it or not. :)

Is there an oil pan gasket on this bike? I'm assuming that's where my leak is coming from... it's not enough to even leave a drop on the garage floor but I'm still losing half a litre of oil over a 200km trip...which is bad. It's not burning oil, but it is squeezing out from somewhere.... I'm betting oil pan gasket, IF it has one.... haven't had a chance to get the fairings off for a look yet though.

was looking through the manual...doesn't look like too bad of a job to drop the engine in these at least, plus it gives me something to do over the winter months here in Canada! :D

Nope you can pull the pan by removing one frame rail exhaust ect,no need to pull the whole motor.

Thoe you have to fix the exhaust stud so might as well will be easier to fix the stud that way

Well that's good news! I'll see what my winter looks like this year...I may just pull the engine and rebuild it, give it a fresh start! The bike is in good shape otherwise, so I think it'd be worth it.

Glad I joined up here, your help so far has been priceless! :D

Yer i would say pull the motor out, as DT says it can be done in the frame but id say you would do a better job of it out of the frame as unless you have the hands of a midget contortionest then id say your have a hard time of it or your end up pinching the new gasket.

Good luck with it tho mate.

If you have a good runing motor don't piss with it,rebuilds dont always go as planed. Just fix what needs to be fixed.

Get a compression tester and Check the compression ,HOLD THE throttle wide open Crank the eng over 5-7 x's and,all spark plugs out when your doing this, and if it is above 120 psi thats good.. 150 is top shelf ...90psi she needs a rebuild.

Testing it hot/warm and cold will give you the best results to determin if it needs a rebuid.

If you find 1 cylinder lower than the rest you most likely need to adjust the valves

Yeah, true don't want to mess if it's not broken, but it does have a few other leaks (head gasket I guess too), so a rebuild or at least gasket overhaul may be necessary.

Did my last oil change for the season today...bike will be going away for winter when the snow comes next week. :( I was hoping to get it out for December's Fri 13 in Dover but I'm not sure if that'll happen this year...probably get snowed in!

Before I did the oil change, I dumped half a can of "Engine Restore" into the oil, and then let the bike idle for about half an hour without operating the clutch, occasionally revving the engine. Then I drained the oil, and changed the filter, and filled with fresh oil. This will hopefully reduce the oil loss/burning I'm experiencing, since the bike runs pretty good otherwise. I don't want to tear it apart if I don't have to....we'll see how she holds out come springtime!