Project 86 FZ600 - "Black Yamba"

feliks
This post is 3590 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Yeah man, back in Stoney Creek April 1st, - got our house till the 11th though so we have time to move everything over. Just a small one car garage that I've already claimed, and the wife accepts that. She's a good girl. lol :D

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sorry man, haven't been around much lately, so I haven't been reading or posting. Working on resumes and stuff.

Awesome work on the bike man, it's turned out exceptional. Best part - you rebuilt it with your own hands. Don't EVER sell it. You will absolutely regret it. You should be nothing less than completely satisfied with your efforts. WELL DONE!!

Haha no worries man I knew you'd see it all eventually. I will have to bring it by so you can see it in person and so I can see your build!

I keep telling the wife it'll be her hand-me-down and she says no but with a smile... so I think I can still convince her. Not for a few more years but it will happen.... may have to paint it pink though. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well I saw some smoke coming out of the back of my bike today, just looked like burning oil...nothing I haven't seen yet but by the time I got home it was smoking from the engine! Upon inspection I noticed the cam tensioner blew off the back of the engine! Bolts must have came lookse... it was still hanging there at least so I didn't lose it. But now I need to take the whole shebang apart to get at it... going to be down for a couple days now... just gotta get this fixed before my move on the weekend! Gah! Bad "timing" .... lol

Ok luckily no further damage was caused... the tensioner is still providing tension to the chain but it's just loose off the engine itself and that's where all the oil came out from! Sucks I need to take off the fairings, gas tank, seat, battery, air box, AND carbs just to get at the thing though. lol

Fuck I got lucky I didn't bail on the last turn home though, I had oil ALL over my back tire!

phew 2 cudda been nasty, tighten up all bolts etc,,after your shake down,, i"v been there , front sprocket nut fell off , :eusa_doh:

Popped the valve cover off, everything was proper at TDC so I reassembled everything and all is good! Woooot!

Retorqued the head bolts to 16 ft lbs as well since a couple of them were at around 10 ft lbs

You lucky barstard!

Glad your safe man and you didn't bin it.

I think i'll go out in the shed tonight and check some bolts :eusa_shifty:

And thats why I blue loctight every bolt on ever part on every thing,all's well that ends well.That could have been a wright off situation,both bike and you.

Did you check the valve clearence while you had the VC off?

PS: throw that orange silicon out and buy some ultra black or "right stuff" both made by permatex,looks and seals 10x better than that orange crap and if you had used the "right stuff' it would have not fallen off that stuff not only seals but glues parts together.Yamabond or Three bond 1104 works well too but grey.

I made my own gasket for that, I don't like using goo until the last resort.

your getting really good at this mechanical lark :)

You lucky barstard!

Glad your safe man and you didn't bin it.

I think i'll go out in the shed tonight and check some bolts :eusa_shifty:

Haha thanks man, yeah never hurts to double check stuff from time to time!

And thats why I blue loctight every bolt on ever part on every thing,all's well that ends well.That could have been a wright off situation,both bike and you.

Did you check the valve clearence while you had the VC off?

PS: throw that orange silicon out and buy some ultra black or "right stuff" both made by permatex,looks and seals 10x better than that orange crap and if you had used the "right stuff' it would have not fallen off that stuff not only seals but glues parts together.Yamabond or Three bond 1104 works well too but grey.

Guilty as to not checking the valve clearance... I just wanted to get it back together before the move which is coming up in 2 days... got too much else right now, even if they were off I wasn't going to fix it now, I'll check em out at the new place when shit settles down. I have the black permatex but the heat rating on this orange crap was higher, and I figured air-cooled engines can get pretty hot...so play it safe with heat ratings, but I'll keep that in mind for next time!

I made my own gasket for that, I don't like using goo until the last resort.

your getting really good at this mechanical lark :)

Trying my best anyway...shit falling off after I put it on doesn't make me look like a master mechanic quite yet though... haha :D I found the real gaskets online from a company in Oregon, but they're discontinued from Yamaha, the dealer couldn't get em.

Wasn't much of a fan of the goo either untill people kept bringing me aftermarket gaskets that were paper thin crap and bound to leak,or didn't fit proprely.I don't mind making the odd gasket now and then but be damed if I am going to do a entire eng.

Using the goo" the right stuff" even at 30 bucks a 1/2 tube I can build a entire eng for less than the crap gaskets and never have a leak,the trick is or where people make a mess is they put 5x too much on and it squirts out everywhere, I only put just barley enough on and unlike most goo it sets in 1 minute not 24hrs and you can make oring seals with it.

You should have just run the feeler gauge under to make sure you still have clearence,no clearence = no oil = worn cam lobes then you would at least know if its safe to ride.

Wasn't much of a fan of the goo either untill people kept bringing me aftermarket gaskets that were paper thin crap and bound to leak,or didn't fit proprely.I don't mind making the odd gasket now and then but be damed if I am going to do a entire eng.

Using the goo" the right stuff" even at 30 bucks a 1/2 tube I can build a entire eng for less than the crap gaskets and never have a leak,the trick is or where people make a mess is they put 5x too much on and it squirts out everywhere, I only put just barley enough on and unlike most goo it sets in 1 minute not 24hrs and you can make oring seals with it.

You should have just run the feeler gauge under to make sure you still have clearence,no clearence = no oil = worn cam lobes then you would at least know if its safe to ride.

I'll pop the cover off next week and check em out, maybe even on the weekend if I have time... it's the big move tomorrow though!

The bike's new bedroom.... 4 times smaller than her last one! She'll just have to make do...still better than being left outside!

13740621753_d87c5a36a6_b.jpg