Project 86 FZ600 - "Black Yamba"

feliks
This post is 3589 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Only one small problem wit coating the bolts if they get to much on you won't be able to fit the allen socket in to tighten them up without removing the coating in the center,also tape off any bolt/bearing holes, sprocket surface, you dont want to have to remove powder coating to install the new stuff. Most any good powder coater know this but make sure first.

You have new chain best to replace the sprockets as well,another 45 bucks is money well spent to get max life outa the chain.And going 1 tooth down on the front will really wake the bike up for wheelies,1/4 mile times or 2-3 up on the rear.But iif your chain is only long enough to fit the stock gearing then up on the rear is not a option,and if you dont like 1 down on the front its easier to change back.

I was going through some old tools and well I have 4 chain breakers so it would seem,loan one to someone and need 1 so buy 1 ,forget 1 at home and at the races so buy 1 is all I can think of why I have so many,so dont go buy one

I got new stainless for the disks off ebay, not worth cleaning the old ones up at the price!

Only one small problem wit coating the bolts if they get to much on you won't be able to fit the allen socket in to tighten them up without removing the coating in the center,also tape off any bolt/bearing holes, sprocket surface, you dont want to have to remove powder coating to install the new stuff. Most any good powder coater know this but make sure first.

You have new chain best to replace the sprockets as well,another 45 bucks is money well spent to get max life outa the chain.And going 1 tooth down on the front will really wake the bike up for wheelies,1/4 mile times or 2-3 up on the rear.But iif your chain is only long enough to fit the stock gearing then up on the rear is not a option,and if you dont like 1 down on the front its easier to change back.

I was going through some old tools and well I have 4 chain breakers so it would seem,loan one to someone and need 1 so buy 1 ,forget 1 at home and at the races so buy 1 is all I can think of why I have so many,so dont go buy one

Free tools? I won't say no to that! lol Yeah obviously tape off what I don't want powder on... they should have the smarts to not powder inside the axle shafts but I'll be sure to let them know to avoid putting powder coat there!

I've made up my mind on what colour I'm going for.... there was never really any doubt but I just liked the gold a lot too.

Free tools? I won't say no to that! lol

I remember saying that once and now i have more tools to get my hands on, draws full of AF / Imperial and metric spanners sockets impact drives hammers etc. but think i would still love to have some free tools as long as the floor in the shed can take it.

She's coming on nicely tho man bet your be glad to get rid of the snow and get the miles put down

Ahh the snow is killing me!! haha But there is still work to be done so it's not a huge deal... yet... definitely glad I'm doing all of this over winter and not summer!

Rims are at the powder coaters right now.... he had no gold in stock (must have been a sign) so I am going with gloss black, which I pretty much was going to get all along anyway! They should be ready early next week, got my new rubber in today, now just have to put them all together, and finish up this bodywork and paint!

12307784064_d17a695823_c.jpg

12307788514_f8e4708c5b_c.jpg

Brilliant" first engine build ,,, :eusa_clap: ..i thot smoke was out the breather , phew,, :eusa_doh: .

:offtopic: What caliber rifle,,, see time lapse,,,,, :rolleyes: i did similar shots with .22-250 . small and fast,, years ago tho...

am outs guns now,,

I personaly belive it 's best to ballance the rim void of tire and remove mettal to ballance the rim,yam had some rims that were really bad back in the 80's out as much as a 1/2 ounce. New tire manufacturing is way better now if you get a tire thats out more than a 1/4 ounce is odd.And not a very good tire.

To check the ballance of the rim make sure your bike is level left to right ,and as your putting in new wheel brngs even better, then slip the axel in and giver a spin no brake pads or calipers or speedo drive and watch where it stops and how it swings back to the heavy spot,it will always be the lowest spot, then spin it 1/2 dozen times and keep watching if it constantly stop in the same spot then it's heavy on that part of the rim,file off a bit from the inside not the contact area of the tire bead and keep doing it untill it never stops in the same spot after spining it,or has no pendlim effect. PS put your new valve stem in first.1 it makes it easier to see where the rim stops and your ballancing the rim with the weight of the stem sprocket and discs.

Once you have the rim ballanced then you should never need to ballance again when changing tires,every manufacture has a different way to mark the heavy spot on the tire but most have a red,yellow ,white dot on the tire and if you put it to the valve stem your good.

The only way to get it better is to use a dynamic ballancer and most bike shops still use a static ballancer and put the weight in the middle of the rim.You can tell if they have a dynamic ballancer becasue there are weights on both outer edges of the rim and not in the same spot. And every tire can be reballance after 100 miles,so say the expert that came to school from dunlop and talked for 4 hrs about tires. So best to fix the rim first and let the tire "learn" it's new home

Good info thanks for that Flip!

ALWAYS more to do! It never ends.

Like I said, shop around for tire installation/balancing prices. I hear Grand River Power Sports (Brantford) are one of the cheapest - not that I have first hand experience with them.
Call around.

Yamaha dealer's gonna mount and balance for $15 a tire... pretty good deal. I've been dealing with the owner (Trevor McKee) each time I've been there and he's been a pleasure to deal with!

Brilliant" first engine build ,,, :eusa_clap: ..i thot smoke was out the breather , phew,, :eusa_doh: .

:offtopic: What caliber rifle,,, see time lapse,,,,, :rolleyes: i did similar shots with .22-250 . small and fast,, years ago tho...

am outs guns now,,

Thanks!! lol That leak is all fixed up now, JB Weld held up, we'll see how it holds up under higher pressure when the RPM's climb come springtime.... :D

Rifle is a 300 win mag, had a real nice kick to it! I actually ended up selling that rifle to help fund purchasing my bike, otherwise I never would have got it... glad I did though. The bike is amazing.

Here's my 2nd go at the bodywork... after notching the cracks with a dremel I filled them with ABS glue and let it dry (abs glue is pretty much abs mixed with acetone). I filled it so it was almost level, then got the files out and filed them down, and covered with body filler. Then, I filed that! Next will be some spot putty and then lots of sanding. Some high fill primer, more sanding and then I will hit it with some colour (black) :D

12331299283_9285de7e4c.jpg

12331305303_cb00cb31dd.jpg

12331157805_10c4ce270f.jpg

12331618784_ee6138e644.jpg

12331315043_b584c84143.jpg

Fiberglassed the shit out of the back of this piece so it will never crack again!!

12331319433_d22127d7b1.jpg

More body prep work! This is easily the most time consuming thing about painting. Just about finished....just need a final sanding, primer, then it's time for the colour! (black) :D

12373077224_a194469481_c.jpg
12372615765_3ffc01fdef_c.jpg
12373087564_169020b394_c.jpg

I just wasn't happy with how my signals and brake lights were working, they weren't as bright as I thought they should have been. I tested voltage at the wires and everything read around 12v when on but I guess it wasn't feeding enough amps to the lights for them to work! SO, I hooked up some relays that activate when the wires get power so they're nice and bright now!

Ya but you forgot the go go gadget hand that swings out and slaps the driver behind you in the face to wake up and take notice.

Feck its been quite around here for the last week,its been minus 30 c for the last week here average with the wind chill and I'm running outa places to put snow.ut to feed the pig on wednessday morning and couldn't see his house HAHAH had to dig it outa 4 ft of drift snow,

This winter reminds me of the winters we used to get back in the 70's i'll be happy to see this one go,hows it been down your way? I got down to long point 2 weeks ago for some ice fishing and didn't look like you guys got half the snow we have,or did the lake winds just blow it all away?

Normaly6 cords of wood does me a whole winter i've burnt 7 allready and still at least 8 weeks of this cold to deal with,you on propane,oil or natural gas? Feckin propane went up 107% in cost in a month ,,right now it would be cheaper to heat the house with gasoline thats just messed up :crazy: .

O well enough bitchin the bike is comming along nice and looks like you will have more than enough time to geter done,you just going straight boring black? or adding some style.

Hahaha next is the flip up license plate! :)

Gah tell me about it! This is the worst winter I can remember in my 32 years of existence! I remember building snow forts in my front yard from shovelling the snow into a big pile when I was a kid but this -30 weather is insane. Global warming they say.... come to Canada I say!! Global warming my fuckin ass! lol We're on natural gas here, I'm just on the edge of Port Dover - so I still have all the city "benefits" - I'd like some land one day, when the wife's done school maybe. We have lots of snow where I live, don't know about down at the point but here there's at least a foot or two everywhere.

It's going all black, but I have some YAMAHA decals being made up in reflective black vinyls..... they are going to look so sweet!

at least you can see black in the snow :)

got a mate in Sarnia, who's just got a CBR600 F4 and is hopefully getting a z900!

at least you can see black in the snow :)

got a mate in Sarnia, who's just got a CBR600 F4 and is hopefully getting a z900!

Haha yeah just need some studded ice tires. :D

Thats flash eh" like a disco , very tricky :headbang:

Should look pretty wicked! Inspired by the stealth police graphics that we have over here.

Let me know how they turn out - I may be interested in getting something made up from that vinyl.

Haha now who wants to be twins?? :D