Washing a bike!

Altum
This post is 3846 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well here comes a true newbie question. What's the best way to clean a filthy bike? I recently bought an xvs125 and the owner obviously didn't take the best care of if cosmetically. I've cleaned it up the best I can but the underneath of the bike and the wheels are completely coated in black grease and road dirt, obviously a sponge and water isn't going to do the job. Would a pressure washer be a good idea? And also what are the areas to avoid when washing a bike?

Cheers!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

In my limited experience, a 180+ mile trip on a 125 in driving rain and strong winds did the trick!!

Only thing with using a pressure washer is that it can force crap into places you don't want it to be. That said it is the easiest way to cut grease away! Fairy washing up liquid will work if you can find a way of letting it soak in, but sounds like a wire brush maybe in order!

Use something like muc-off, let it soak in for a few minutes then pressure wash it off. Pressure washers are fine as long as you dont blast your chain or any bearings (Like wheel bearings) with it.

Personally I like autoglym stuff and their car shampoo used neat removes just about anything. Old mug and a paintbrush

Then just rinse and reapeat

Baby wipes are really good for the sw arm and back wheel gunk too.

No matter how tempted dont use a pressure washer.

Nip up Halfords and get some brushes.

If you can, get some isopropyl alcohol on the greasy bits.

If you do strip the grease off lubes parts, remember to re-lube them!!

Just do what i do........................ride it, dont wash it! loads more fun! and a dirty bike means um it actually gets used as a bike not a pin up doll in a wank mag

but if you REALLY want to wash it, washing up liquid, paint brush on the greasy bits (spokes will take wire wool to come up nice)

Hi

I would not use washing up liquid your hands may become as soft as your face, but I have read some place that there is a salt content in washing up liquid that allows the residue suds to act as an electrolyte helping to create more corrosion,

So I tend to use a generic car wash liquid,

Nayfuf is right, washing up liquid has a lot of salt in it, use a car shampoo and that would remove most of the crud and grime, as for grease a degreaser (obviously) is best.

Awesome, thanks for all the replies. Yeah ended up just getting stuck in with some brushes, tonnes of water and an all in one car wash liquid. Also got a bit of of wd40 motorbike wash from Halfords, which was ok but probably wouldn't get again. She came up looking pretty nice in the end.

Cheers guys!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online