Bit of trouble in the road! Any idea's?

Altum
This post is 3831 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well I've had my first bit of trouble with the bike. I was coming back from a longish journey, pulling up a hill I heard a bang, the the back wheel locked up completely, fishtailing the bike, then a grinding noise... I managed to yank the bike onto the pavement(not an easy task with the wheel still completely locked up) and saw that the chain had come off and caused quite a bit of damage to the chain guard and the general area around the back sprocket. I then removed some of the covers to get to the front sprocket and the chain had wrapped around three times completely jamming itself up against the engine casing. Just as I was about to loose my rag a bloke tapped me on the shoulder "need a hand mate?"... a sneaky AA man who saw a new customer with no other options. So long story short I had to sign up, pay the man all my monies and watch as he used what I would consider excessive force to loosen the chain from this tangled mess. The bike got me home but will obviously need a new chain and sprocket and a little looking over by a professional. So my question is basically, any ideas on what might have caused this? It got its m.o.t two days before this happened, the tension of the chain was fine and the chain and sprocket we're only a few months old... on reflection, the bike did make a clunking sound sometimes when taking a corner and it was on a bend when the chain came off. I also think that the bang when the chain came off was the extreme result of this clunking I had heard before. So yeah any advice or clues about what it could be would be great, please note I have only had the bike a month or so and am new to riding so my technical knowledge is sparse.

tl;dr

What does a clunking noise when going round corners mean?

Cheers!

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sounds like the pitch of the chain and the sprockets could have been off.

was the rear wheel aligned properly? if the wheel wasn't straight then this could have been the cause of it popping off as the chain would have not been going over the sproket properly

if the chain came off and was wrapped around the front sprocket it shouldnt have been hard to push and shouldnt have locked up the rear?

Had the chain been kept lubed?

Was it one of them with a split-link thingy? That could have popped off (seen it happen).

Could have been chain stretched

worn sprockets

mis aligned sprockets

lack of chain lube

chain too slack

or a combination of these

causing the chain to jump teeth

without seeing the parts, its difficult to be definite, but I'd say that new sprockets and chain are in order first off, properly tensioned and aligned

Parts supplier like Wemoto would supply all of those, but you're free to shop around

Neversaydie is right there...hard to diagnose without seeing it...but from bitter experience at 0500 on a Saturday morning something very similar happened to me...round a corner...hit a drain...chang chang chunk..chain off and buggered sprocket...unfortunately it was a slack chain coupled with worn sprockets...1st.twas my first bike and a very steep learning curve...other than oil at right levels the chain must be looked after like a bimbo on a pub crawl :)

Thanks for the input guys, gonna run her down to a mechanic today to get some more advice and ideas on cost. I'll stick another post up when I get back as an update.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

It had been clunking for a while,, :eusa_think: .i would be checking wheel bearing/ swing arm worn/ sprocket carrier bearing,,,