F***king Ice!

Guest Tomg
This post is 6643 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

well wednesday was my first day back at college and i had been on holiday all of christmas and new year so i decided i would ride in. so i got up at 7 and put it on charge and went back to bed as i didn't start till 10. got up later and it fired up so went to college. as i was going round a mini roundabout my front wheel skidded on a double man hole cover (the smooth ones) and left me. BOLLOX! i feel to the floor watching my bike sitting there stillticking over on the floor, fortunately as it fell to the left it kiked the gear lever back into neutral but bent it at the same time. bugger! so i eventually with some help picked it up jumped on and rode up the street to college parked up and then was annoyed! i have a crack in the fairing, some scratches and some other surface cracks, as well as a busted indicator cover and a bent gear selector. and a nice big blue bruise on my hip and knee and an aching shoulder. :(

but at least i have my first crash out of the way now and it could have been a lot worse. but it does give me a good oppurtunity to now do the bike up nicely!! :)

im thinking of a gauolusis rossi rep seen as it is a yamaha!!!!

just thought i would share my adventure with y'all

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Commiserations feller, it's a shitty feeling and we've all been there. However, take consolation that you are not badly hurt and your bike is repairable, it could have been a lot worse an outcome for both of you.

Look on it as a major step in the learning curve of riding. Unless upright on your bike, manhole covers of any sort (even the 'non-slip' coated ones) are to be avoided like the plague, especially in wet or even damp conditions. Likewise whitelines painted on the roads. The current (or maybe last) issue of 'Bike' magazine has a guide to riding in the wet in it. I would seriously reccomend it to you as there is some sound advice contained therein (I read it in the shop the other day ;) ).

I'm not sure what you ride at present, but if you can borrow an off-roader (preferably not a super dooper mint condition one) and go somewhere off road where it is slippery then do so. Practice riding around and try getting the wheels sliding around at low speed, the more you can do the better. It may not feel like it straight away but you will start to gain experience of the bike moving under you and learn not to react in the instinctive way (close throttle, feet down) but control it. It will make you a far better equipped road rider, that's why the American road racers are so good, they nearly all ride dirt bikes at an early age and a sliding bike isn't un-natural to them.

Hope you feel better soon.

Andy

PS Just spotted that you list a TZR 50 as your ride, apologies.

Edited by ANDYROSE

cheers andy i will take that in mind, have always wanted a go on an offroader!!

what do you mean that makes two of you today alex?

Best Wishes on a speedy recovery Tomg :huh:

Riding....& Skiing both have one thing in common........

You won't get any good @ it until you've fallen a few times!.....Fact of Life I'm afraid ;)

The most important part about falling....is that you've learned where you went wrong so as NOT to repeat the mistake :)

Glad to hear that you & the TZR sound repairable ;)

Andy's right about off-roading.....not only does it really hone the riding skills.....

You have a Helluva lotta FUN doing it! :thumb:

I can vouch for what Andy said about manhole covers & paint. I took a tumble back in October whilst going round a bend over a large painted direction-arrow (you know the f*cking massive ones so pr*cks in cars know what lane they're supposed to be in!!), anyway, like you the front wheel went and I hit the deck. Three months on I've just had the pins out of a f*cked-up wrist, so I can concur with all those that say you escaped rather lightly ;)

I think that all the off-roading in the world wouldn't have saved you from a front-wheel skid like that. Once it starts to go your arse will hit the deck whatever you do. The skill is in reading the road, positioning and adjusting your speed to suit BEFOREHAND (which was where I bolloxed-up :angry: )

Don't know about you but the worse thing was picking my bike and my sorry-arse up off the road with all the puking car drivers tsk-ing at me from the inside of their shitty little tin-cans :angry:

Anyway, get well soon and take it steady just whilst going over manholes and road markings THEN give it large like a crazy mutha-f*cka everywhere else ;)

• Admin

Misread your post cidered i thought you came off yesterday too! Bloody weather :blink:

Misread your post cidered i thought you came off yesterday too! Bloody weather :blink:

no, mine wasn't ice it was just a wet & greasy arrow about 3 months ago. i was having a hissy-fit at the time with some tw*t in a car (1st rule of biking - RIDE DISPASSIONATELY) took the bend a bit quick (2nd rule ADJUST SPEED ACCORDING TO CONDITIONS) fish-tailed a bit then hit the tarmac. no damage to bike as you might have seen elsewhere in the pics but f*cked up my lid, again pics posted, this being a ball-acher (400 quids worth). my wrist i can stand as it's given me a nice little break [lol] over christmas ;)

anway, while i'm chuntering on, as someone else pointed out it probably won't be the first or last time that we've all had tumbles off bikes, BUT i've found, as you get more experienced you fall off less but, also, it hurts more and takes longer to recover :angry::angry:

Yes my son Michael took a tumble on a manhole last march ended up writing his FS1 off and breaking his leg under a land rover disco. I also think that a great help is to fit good tyres his FS was fitted with cheng sh*t or golden boy tyres and it locked the back wheel easily on a dry road, wet roads it was like riding on ice. We fitted the replacment bike (another FS1 built from another frame and engine and some bits of the original) with michelin M45 tyres, only £12.50 each from ATS beleive it or not, It now stops without sliding, although it may not have stopped the accident it is a small price to pay for a bit of grip. Th tyres are al that are between you and the road.

Merv

You rode on ice and you dumped your cycle?

WTF did you think was gonna happen you goddam dumbass!

at least i can ride a motorcycle and not some tricycle i got from toys r us you faggot!

You rode on ice and you dumped your cycle?

WTF did you think was gonna happen you goddam dumbass!

EddyIrish, how very nice of you to come barging in on a sensible and level headed discussion following the sad experience of one of the members with your loud and foul mouthed coarseness. You are the sort of person who destoys these forums by driving away those who find your language and standard of behaviour unsavoury and undesirable. Why the Moderators on here tolerate you I don't know, when it is certain that you are one of the reasons why so many people have left. You certainly are having that effect on me!

I can only echo Tomg's words and hope you follow his advice.

Andy

PS Unlike you and most of your foulmouthed breathren I am not afraid to put my real name on here. Only the weak need to hide behind an alias, another common trait seen across other forums.

Eddy,

You are fat, coarse, your feet stink, you have halitosis and you bring nothing whatsoever to this forum. In short, you are objectionable and your presence is not welcome.

As the football song goes.....'it's nice to know you're here.......NOW F*CK OFF'

I bet Eddie doesn't have the GoNads to ride a bike in conditions like this though!.....

GovtCamp.jpg

OchocoRide.jpg

He's nothin' but a Wuss hiding behind a Bad Vocabulary :rolleyes:

Eddy and Vin!

It must be difficult to type anything nice when your plugging each others "Homeboy" butts!

You are as your avatar "FULL OF SHIT!!!!"

Eddy is Da Man! And don't you forget it!

He's ridden more bikes and killed more Gooks than you pussies have had wet dreams.

and you Vin Diesel you gay boy who fanices vin diesel and eddy irish can go back to your pig sty and roll in shit while eddy picks at your ass!

by the way some mental conditions to be riding yamahead!

well wednesday was my first day back at college and i had been on holiday all of christmas and new year so i decided i would ride in. so i got up at 7 and put it on charge and went back to bed as i didn't start till 10. got up later and it fired up so went to college. as i was going round a mini roundabout my front wheel skidded on a double man hole cover (the smooth ones) and left me. BOLLOX! i feel to the floor watching my bike sitting there stillticking over on the floor, fortunately as it fell to the left it kiked the gear lever back into neutral but bent it at the same time. bugger! so i eventually with some help picked it up jumped on and rode up the street to college parked up and then was annoyed! i have a crack in the fairing, some scratches and some other surface cracks, as well as a busted indicator cover and a bent gear selector. and a nice big blue bruise on my hip and knee and an aching shoulder. :(

but at least i have my first crash out of the way now and it could have been a lot worse. but it does give me a good oppurtunity to now do the bike up nicely!! :)

im thinking of a gauolusis rossi rep seen as it is a yamaha!!!!

just thought i would share my adventure with y'all

sorry mate but this has to be donr......hyuahahahahahahha :lol:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online