67 Yamaha YR1 tranny problems

ardo123
This post is 3860 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I just bought a 67 Yamaha YR1 a few days ago. I've been riding it every day and the engine has been running great but starting today the transmission started having some problems getting into gear. I was out on it when these problems started happening to I had to ride home. By the time I was almost home the bike wasn't shifting into fourth or above. The shifter arm will move up from third but nothing is engaging in there. Any ideas of what it could be? I don't have the service manual yet but I've already got one ordered and it should be here next week.

I want to start by changing the transmission oil, does anyone know the capacity?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Look right near the oil fill cap the amount will be right there to chang the oil(ps this is not just the tranny oil it's the oil for the whole motor if you didn't know that allready).and you should chang the filter.

Check the linkage from the shifter to the shaft entering the eng possibly the part that fit's on the shaft is loose,if it is and you can't just tighten up the 8mm bolt and if the clamping part is allready full seated you have to buy a new one ,or get creative and cut it so it can clamp tighter.But if all the teeath are worn down then get a new one so you don't wreck the selector shaft.If the teeth are worn on the selector shaft, I have another method of temp fixing this problem but you will have to PM me not something I would tell everyone to do and if you do it your on your own.

If all thats ok then your looking at spliting the motor to fix tranny bearings or shift forks

Think you will find that the transmission oil does only lube the transmission and clutch on the YR1 as being a two stroke will probably find it will have a sepeate tank for the two stroke oil to lube the crank and pistons as on the later two stroke Yams.

OOPs when I read it I though you were talking R1 my bad

Is that not the same as what is cast into the clutch case but in cc's aprox 1500cc?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online