F*cked-up Lid?

cidered666
This post is 6664 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi chaps & chapesses, happy new year to you all.

This photo is of my arai astro j lid. I recently took a tumble from my bike during which the lid took a glancing blow on the road. As you can see, just above the visor-hinge(?) there is a 1p coin-sized chip off the paintwork but NO other damage whatsoever.

Should I be thinking about replacing it? The scrape seems too superficial to warrant the expense of a new lid.

I thought that until next year, maybe, i could touch it up with some light filler silver touch-up paint or even filler and a sticker any suggestions gratefully received.

normal_helmet.jpg

I enquired at a bike shop but all thay wanted to do was flog me a new one with bullshit like 'well they don't always show the damge sustained blah blah blah of course you should buy a new helmet sir, step this way.......' know what I mean ;)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Change it. Dark is right. The foam is compressed and gives you only a small rest of the protection in the next crash than it did before. :icon_cry:

Leo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi chaps & chapesses, happy new year to you all.

This photo is of my arai astro j lid. I recently took a tumble from my bike during which the lid took a glancing blow on the road. As you can see, just above the visor-hinge(?) there is a 1p coin-sized chip off the paintwork but NO other damage whatsoever.

Should I be thinking about replacing it? The scrape seems too superficial to warrant the expense of a new lid.

I thought that until next year, maybe, i could touch it up with some light filler silver touch-up paint or even filler and a sticker any suggestions gratefully received.

normal_helmet.jpg

I enquired at a bike shop but all thay wanted to do was flog me a new one with bullshit like 'well they don't always show the damge sustained blah blah blah of course you should buy a new helmet sir, step this way.......' know what I mean ;)

How you doing bud. Can I tell you that I bought an Arai lid brand new, had it three weeks and binned my bike. The bike was a write off but the lid had no damage well virtually no damage and I thought to myself well I can still use it for a while after all it cost me £400 and I have only had it for three weeks...

Little did I realise how stupid I was being. I was advised to scrap the lid. Apparently after you have dropped a lid on the ground or had an accident with the lid you are meant to destroy it, Replace it straight away would be my advice as it will not give you the full protection it once did...

Thats what I learnt even if there does not look much wrong with it, damage it a lot and then skip it. Go buy a new one bud...

Buying a new Lid, although may not be the most cost effective.......really is the smartest alternative. ;)

I always look at it the same way as I do when buying a lid in the first place

ask yourself the question :- 'How much is my head worth?'

That normally settles it.

Plus i'm sure the guys here will agree, we don't wanna be losing members, we want more.

;)