80 xt250 stator issues

Digger65
This post is 3606 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hope you won't mind me making my intro via a fiendishly complex problem

Recently had some issues with the bike(1980 xt250) intermittently cutting out

Traced to a snagged wire or two in the stator

Now I have rewired but the prev owner wired the bike in green throughout making plugging the stator back up quite a challenge

Six cables out of the stator

My method thus far is to plug 1 to 1 (1through6)

Then 1-2 (1through6)

I Pull the plug and check for spark when I get one I sling in the plug and tentatively give it a kick

I have found a few configs so far that seem to work ok, one which gives me spark

One which starts easy but runs a bit flat

Another that gives me good pull that puts a smile on my face but won't start cold (starts fine warm)

I wondr if anyone has a solution for this puzzle or could at least pm me with a wiring diagram?

Thanks in adv

JJ

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You've got the high and low speed source coils wrong way round or the wrong polarity. Or a combination of both.

With the stator off the bike I could probably work it out - but if its been messed about with its likely to have other issues (in my experience)

Hi thanks

Yes certainly something is wrong somwhere in the way its currently - no pun intended -plugged up

Have got the stator apart again so I can trace cables back

Essentially I have 6 wires

2 from pick up coil

2 from lighting and 2 from source coil..

When you say high and low speed which coils are you referring to ?

Below is the diagram of my assy

There is a lighting, pick up and source coil marked on it

http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xt250g-dual-purpose-1980_model8766/partslist/B-08.html#results

Sorry to be such a novice btw and any advice is greatly appreciated

Also if I accidently plug the lighting coil to the cdi could I fry either a coil or CDI?

Also anyone have any experience with a hyperpack cdi on a 6v xt250?

Thanks again

JJ

Thats a very simple generator and it will be very easy to sort out.

If you plug the lighting coil into the CDi it will blow it. It may actually work but this coil is capable of producing a lot of current which will burn out the SCR in the CDi box.

I've not tried the other unit. What I will say is the reason we started making CDi units for the SR500 was their one for this bike was shockingly bad. What they call a 'performance timing curve' is a joke as they keep the ignition fully retarded until 5,000 RPM when it swings full advanced :eusa_shifty:

We've a nice little 12 volt conversion for the XT250 ;-)

http://www.rexs-speedshop.com/epages/es143131.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es143131/Categories/Products/12_Volt_Conversions

Thats a very simple generator and it will be very easy to sort out.

If you plug the lighting coil into the CDi it will blow it. It may actually work but this coil is capable of producing a lot of current which will burn out the SCR in the CDi box.

I've not tried the other unit. What I will say is the reason we started making CDi units for the SR500 was their one for this bike was shockingly bad. What they call a 'performance timing curve' is a joke as they keep the ignition fully retarded until 5,000 RPM when it swings full advanced :eusa_shifty:

We've a nice little 12 volt conversion for the XT250 ;-)

This is the go I think, Thankyoui

May I just confirm this would replace my blown CDI?

So I wouldn't need to purchase a new/sh CDI in addition?

Bearing in mind the wiring on my bike isn't standard

Would ther be any way of you supplying me with the original colour coding for the stator assy so I have a basis to go on?

I can then bell it out and the only think I could get wrong would be polarity which is easily sorted?

I will probs sling an email via your site also

Ta

http://www.rexs-speedshop.com/epages/es143131.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es143131/Categories/Products/12_Volt_Conversions

• 8 months later...

attack of the zombie thread...!!

have replaced the source coil with a brand new old stock unit, the ignition coil replaced,new cdi, have just had the bike completely rewired back to standard and now cutting out after 10-20 mins, pops backfires and quits, then starts fine once cooled...

i will try another cap, plug and ht lead tomorrow

but if anyone has any pointers related to this behavior?

am getting tired of pushing it home...and spending money

JJ

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online