A Lonely Welder....

cidered666
This post is 6663 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

This is weird - I'm a fairly new user here but it seems that whenever I'm here I'm the ONLY one - do I smell? [checks armpits/breath] anyway.....

My real topic is to do with welding. I am a welding-ignoramus can ne1 explain mig/tig/mag/arc to me and mebbe recommed something for car bodywork/bike frame etc. There are few, what looks to be good/cheap, set-ups at app £200. Do I need the ones with gas or not etc etc etc. Should I buy a 'name' (wolf/draper/bosch)? I'm thinking of a cheap introduction to welding but i don't want to buy a heap of dog-doo!!!

ALL comments will be avidly read and consumed.

Merry Christmas to you all and here's wishing the big fat guy in the red suit totally empties his sack on your living-room carpet ;)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

This is weird - I'm a fairly new user here but it seems that whenever I'm here I'm the ONLY one - do I smell? [checks armpits/breath] anyway.....

I have noticed that I am usually alone on here too, so don't feel you are the only one. Just not enough users I suppose? With regard to your question about welders, I would suggest looking at doing a course of evening classes at a college if you have one nearby. You will learn a lot from a quite short course including the most appropriate type of welding for your objectives.

Cheers,

Andy

I have noticed that I am usually alone on here too, so don't feel you are the only one. Just not enough users I suppose?

We have plenty users, just 99% dont post :blink:

My real topic is to do with welding. I am a welding-ignoramus can ne1 explain mig/tig/mag/arc to me and mebbe recommed something for car bodywork/bike frame etc. There are few, what looks to be good/cheap, set-ups at app £200. Do I need the ones with gas or not etc etc etc. Should I buy a 'name' (wolf/draper/bosch)? I'm thinking of a cheap introduction to welding but i don't want to buy a heap of dog-doo!!!

Hi. About welding:

I have had same question a few years ago. I asked several people which do welding as their job, here is the destilled :movingeyes: answer:

You have to parts which you want to weld.

Which type of welding, which current, which metal for welding depends on the material the parts are made of.

If you choose one of them wrong you will not get a releiable connection of the parts.

The people which do it all days are becoming careful if they have to weld unknown material. :question:

From that reason you have really big trouble at the technical test if they see, that your frame is welded. You have to bring certificates from the man who did the welding, from the manufacturer who made the welding material and from the motocycle company that the welding on this point of frame is allowed.

For me, I solved the problem an other way: No solding on frames. For the other things I bought a cheap device withoutout gas, just the electrode, I use it for material with more than 2 mm thichness. I will buy a cheap welder with gas (CO2) for welding thin metal like you find in cars.

(Sorry for my English, I'm not a native speaker...) :rolleyes:

Leon

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online