What do you use as a bike stand?

beemer328
This post is 3902 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok guys, another silly question but as the drag star has only a side stand, what do you use to stand it on when working on it, ie removing rear wheel and the likes. I even find that cleaning the chrome on the left side is a pain when its on its side stand. I was thinking beer crate,

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Bike jack/scissor lift.

Can get a pretty decent one from Busters, for about £60.

Bike jack/scissor lift.

Can get a pretty decent one from Busters, for about £60.

Same here, the padock stands we have for the sports bike never seem to fit properly and if you have a bike jack you can lift the front or the back. Careful where you lift the bike, a peice of wood across can sometimes be handy. Dont try to lift the bike off the floor without having either the front or rear wheel still touching the floor as it gets very unstable and may tip over unless its strapped to something

Dont try to lift the bike off the floor without having either the front or rear wheel still touching the floor

Err, that's exactly what a proper bike jack does.

One of these:

75360d1256606231-floor-jack-for-washing-

http://www.mandp.co.uk/p/536977/tre4101-mechanical-motorcycle-liftyeh

the bigger flatbed style ones do but if you get one of these smaller ones be careful to do as I suggested. On the one that Ttaskmaster posted a link to make sure you strap the bike for extra stability

Thanks guys, can you really get them for as little as £60, would that lift a 650 for that sort of price?

I use this. If you use it at the rear of the frame you lift the rear tyre and vice versa. Very simple, very stable and much less than a full centre lift.

sealey-mps2-two-arm-centre-stand-0010995

You can get them at toolbox.co.uk http://www.toolbox.co.uk/sealey-mps2-two-arm-centre-7203-109954

Its a Sealey two arm centre stand

I made one of these for next to nothing http://vstar1300.pbworks.com/w/page/5760709/Motorcycle%20Lifts

Though I have a lift like the one Tasky posted for wheel removal. If you get one that lifts 300kg that'll lift a 650 easily

yeh they should all manage your bike, they tend to air on the side of caution with max weight. Most stands would prob lift much higher than stated but yeh try and get one thats rated for weight of your bike obviously. The lil red jack I got does the job on all my bikes and postage is usually much cheaper than the bigger ones jacks. Its tiny when stored up on its end in a corner so its perfect if space is a problem. All of these lifters will do the job and have their own pros and cons.

many thanks for the links and info guys, clarkegray, how simple is that and for no money

It was simple to make, big block of wood, drill a hole then use a long metal pipe as a lever. I had a pipe lying around and got an off cut block of wood from the local timber merchant for about £10

I just use a block of wood under the side stand to sit it up vertical then get a standard car jack and two axle stands = job done

I use this. If you use it at the rear of the frame you lift the rear tyre and vice versa. Very simple, very stable and much less than a full centre lift.

sealey-mps2-two-arm-centre-stand-0010995

You can get them at toolbox.co.uk http://www.toolbox.co.uk/sealey-mps2-two-arm-centre-7203-109954

Its a Sealey two arm centre stand

this seems very simple and effective bulldog2 , could be quite easy to knock one together too.

I just use a block of wood under the side stand to sit it up vertical then get a standard car jack and two axle stands = job done

this is what i currently do ,, but it's too restrictive .

Yer but its cheap ha ha

Err, that's exactly what a proper bike jack does.

One of these:

75360d1256606231-floor-jack-for-washing-

HI .... CAN YOU ADVISE ON MAKE / MODEL OF THIS BIKE LIFT PLEASE? LOOKS STURDY AND DON'T FANCY DROPPING MY BIKE OFF A FEEBLE ONE.. TA

It was simple to make, big block of wood, drill a hole then use a long metal pipe as a lever. I had a pipe lying around and got an off cut block of wood from the local timber merchant for about £10

I would round off the bottom corners using either a router or planer. This would make it easier to roll over

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online