clutch cable snapped, what would you do?

rjw99
This post is 3901 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Out today clutch cable snapped in third gear, I was like WTF. I couldnt slow down as would stall, I couldnt stop to push the bike because I was in gear.

So I had to keep the bike running to the garage, went through 5 sets of red lights, 1 set right outside the police station lol

What would you have done?

Also the garage tightened it 3 days ago, was he the cause? Did he do it too tight?

Is this a common thing? Do clutch cables need replacing regularly? Not best pleased.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

So I had to keep the bike running to the garage, went through 5 sets of red lights, 1 set right outside the police station lol

:icon_eek:

Glad you survived that! Living in Oxford, I would have just stalled it before being splatted at a light. Here's hoping there weren't any cameras :shakeno:

Guessing that, if your cable needed tightening, it had already stretched a fair bit. Could just have been at the end of it's life?

Thanks and dont think any cameras, apparently dt125's are hard to pick up on cameras so not going to worry lol

Maybe, just seems strange that it snaps after been tightened. Only £20 tho so could be worse.

What a prat. Just shut the throttle and stall it.

Running the lights etc cos its stuck in gear. Fk me. Imagine the consequences. YOU could have ruined somebodyelses life and got yourself hurt or worse.

Nothing can justify what you did for just a clutch cable and the plods would tear you a new one if they have you running multiple lights and hear ypur 'excuse'.

Your bike has a sequential box. It is simple enough to use without the clutch.

Doesent take much work to understand. Get the revs right and you can change easily up or down.

Oh, how can you change up and down a gear without using the clutch? If I revved really high would I be able to change gear?

If I had stalled it I wouldnt have been able to start it again cos in 3rd?

Errm yeh got breakdown but I was stuck in the middle of town on busy roads, on reflection maybe it was a little unsafe.

Going up. Apply some power, put moderate pressure on the lever and just for a moment close the throttle a little.

Going down let the revs drop, on a dt... maybe 2000 would do apply down ward pressure this time enough throttle to just feel some acceleration then close it and she will change down.

With practice. Im only talking of half hour or so you could ride anywhere clutchless. If you have a decent electric start even a few traffic light stops are easy. Otherwise bump it in second and hop on.

THAT is what I would have been doing.

If you get it right you should be able to get neutral and coast to a stop, then push off with ya foot and click into first as it starts moving , how would the youngsters get on with an old fuller road ranger 8 speed crash box i wonder Jason

Cannae believe what ive just read...

As everyone else said, paddle along in neutral and knock it into first!

My dad rode his rd350 for 2 weeks without a clutch lol

Ride clutchless or, if you don't feel confident/even know about it USE THE FUCKING BREAKDOWN - THAT is why you bloody well paid for it in the first place!!

You don't think they could manage to reach you on busy town roads or something?

Fuck, just pull up on the nearest pavement, brake to a stall, park up and walk to the fucking garage or even catch a taxi, as you're in the busy part of a town.

Buy a cable, walk back, swap them out and be off. Failing that, call your mum or a friend and have them go get you a cable while you guard your bike...

That was seriously fucking stupid and anyone doing the same will get no sympathy here.

its not f#ckin rocket science if you can't ride it, cos you don't know how!! get off it and rock it back & forth while clicking down on the gear change till you hit first, one click up green light comes on then you push the f#cker if you can't manage that, ask the Grouch , at least when this happened him he showed some common sense, you are an idiot and shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a bike with a clutch or for that matter an engine

I had this happened to me once, luckily i knew you could change gear without using the clutch (same for cars) without too much hassle and because i live in the middle of nowhere i didn't have to come to a complete stop once on my several miles home.

Only time i stalled was when i was at my garden and just give the brake a firm squeeze (whilst at walking pace) to bring it to a stop, to be honest i could have just popped it into neutral and hopped off but the bike was just where i wanted to park it up anyways.

You could ride that xt at such low rpm without clutch and still not stall. Not sure about 2 strokes as i thought that they didn't have much power under certain RPM, making crawling along without clutch a bit difficult?

when going to a junction without clutch don't fly at it and slam the brakes just crawl up to it checking the road is clear and when it is just go for it. as apposed to having to try and scoot it with your feet and pop into 1st

If you get it right you should be able to get neutral and coast to a stop, then push off with ya foot and click into first as it starts moving , how would the youngsters get on with an old fuller road ranger 8 speed crash box i wonder Jason

Ha ha too right. The eaton twin too. Or for the computer generation. Find reverse on an old Merc EPS box....

I guess you've learned a valuable lesson on this thread. When you get your bike back on the road, find a quiet area and practice the clutchless gear changing. Just in case...

give the guy a break. i think he's learned. :shakeno:

Just hammering home the point, both to him and anyone else reading.

Running red lights is possibly one of the most dangerous things you can do. The obvious is getting splatted by an oncoming truck.

But for a reality check - You run the red light, crossing traffic includes a mother and three kids in her car.

She doesn't even get a chance to brake before you're slamming right into the wing of her car. As your bike hits, it catches on the bodywork and the whole thing flips up, taking you with it. You and the bike plough in through her windscreen and into the cockpit.

As a result, you are severely disabled, quadriplegic, as all the cervicals in your neck were damaged when the bike rolled you up the bonnet. You are missing the left arm and foot that were pulverised in the roll, your pelvis is shattered, your genitalia and right leg have been mashed, you have a punctured lung from multiple broken ribs and your vocal chords are damaged, so you won't even get to speak again. You will need someone with you 24/7... that's if you even qualify for donor organs. Chances are you'll live... if you wanna call that living.

In addition, the bike catching on the bodywork miraculously sent it spinning around the driver, yet planted it solidly into the back seat. All three kids are as smashed up as you. They will live, but only with permanent care and they will never look anything beyond vaguely human.

A mother all but loses all three children and you end up fucked as well... Witnesses are traumatised, family members are devastated, more people learn to hate bikers and the insurance goes up for the rest of us. All because you did something pretty fucking illegal over a £20 cable.

The description of the accident is taken from an actual, genuine, real life incident, by the way. It was witnessed by a paramedic who was stopped and watching from the opposite red light at the crossroads.

This is a dangerous game. THINK next time!!!

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online