DT 125R does not idle, why?

BillyBennett
This post is 3888 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My dt 125r does not idle, even when hot! The bike bogs when still cold or hot, I could ride or half hour and stop and the bike will just cut out, I have to keep the revs high to keep the bike going! It's really frustrating! Help? Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Have you looked at the jetting if it's all stock it should be a 220 and have you gave the carb a good clean with some carb cleaner? What year is it if its old it would help if you disassembled it and cleaned it

Sorry about the lack of information, it's a 2002 with a FULL DEP system, I clean the air filter, change the oil and check the spark plug on a regular basis. The bike will idle for around 30 seconds when started with choke, then it will hit 1000 revs and bog out, after that it might take a few kicks to get it started again with choke on. I haven't checked the jets or the carb YET, but I will sometime soon, at the moment I've got a problem with my throttle cable!:( it's jammed but no big deal. Got any other ideas? I'll strip the bike, anything else I should check? A big thanks to you!

Billy the throttle cable being jamed is what is causing your problem get a new 1 Then if you still have problem I would be supirsed

The bike didnt idle when the throttle was in perfect working order. Im going to my mechanic to see if he can fix the jamming of the cable, one question, if the throttle cable had completely snapped, would ou be able to pull the cable out from the handle bar?

Well my situation is the throttle isn't moving at all, I took the throttle (on the handlebar) off and tug the throttle cable lightly and no movement, see i think the cable is stuck some where around the forks, as it was fine before the forks were serviced but after that's when it wasn't moving. Could the throttle cable get jammed in the forks?

Hmmm then this could be as simple as turning the idle screw in a bit or the pilot screw could need to be adjusted for more fuel at idle.

As for the cable sounds like some routed it wrong when they installed the forks,post some pict's I'm sure someone will know if it's wrong,basicaly it should run infront of the right fork and then back between the steering head and fork ,between the upper and lower tripple clamps then under the tank above the front mounts.NEV has built so many of them bikes he will know.

First off, I'm not a mechanic, but I had a similar problem with an old lawn mower (I know it's not quite the same!) after stripping the carb and cleaning etc, the problem was the fuel cap which was blocked and causing a vacuum. It stopped the fuel flowing at low revs. Ever since then after spending several hours I always check this first - the very start of the fuel journey!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online