bike protective clothing. lack of......

Cynic
This post is 3413 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Those I've seen or heard about usually resulted from being trapped under the bike.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

fazerstun is not so important what the consultant tell you and what exactly was happening. helmets, gears, rider skill help to reduce the damage you take in case of accident. there is a chance so those things can save your life. I saw no reason for people in UK to not wear protective gears. this summer I was in romania, over 3000 miles just in this country, I jump from 25 degree in UK at 41 degree in just 3 days. if in UK I never ride without protective gears, in romania I ride a lot in t-shirt. why that? because the chance to fail from my bike because of high temperature and fail under a lorrie is bigger than to have a crush because of an accident and in this case the protective gears don`t save me. so, I do this... somehow like you... but not because i`m lazy.

btw, your long motorbike boots probably save your leg for big injuries, in case your legs was catch between the car bumper and your engine, right?

nice bike, (the cagiva) a friend of mine have one like this... the only one in romania. he buy it from leeds area

They probably are, but they'd still deglove if they were wearing leathers or shorts. This is what I'm trying to make you understand. If enough weight and pressure is applied in the right area, the flesh will remove from the bone.

They probably are, but they'd still deglove if they were wearing leathers or shorts. This is what I'm trying to make you understand. If enough weight and pressure is applied in the right area, the flesh will remove from the bone.

I do understand.

But as Lalla said, however it could help, it's always that tiny extra chance to survive.

In the one off I had without leathers, my trousers ripped and caught on the fuel tap - If leathers had helped me slide out from under the bike, I know which I'd rather have had.

Yes, you're right. Of course it could have helped. It could have kept my degloved leg in place until they removed my leathers. Then I could have just bled in the hospital rather than on the road. I have said my piece. I am not happy about being used as an argument for safety gear when it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference. You don't want to hear that, of course you don't. And, if you are who I think you are, I am not surprised. You carry on being invincible in your little leather suit. I bid you all farewell :)

It didn't make a difference in your case. I understand and accept that.

And yeah, I probably am who you think I am. Oh well, eh! :D

Regardless, it may well make a difference in other cases, which was the original point. Degloving and avulsion in general is basically a far more severe form of abrasion, which leathers are generally intended to help protect against, so I personally favour protective kit and advocate it whenever the topic arises. I respect other people's choices, so long as they appreciate the risks and my opinions on their choices are simply just that.

Trapped under a bike?

Let me see now.

Currently staring a leg that is so severely degloved that it has no flesh left between the calf and just above the knee on the inside of the leg. What actually ripped the flesh off was the radiator cover from off the bike as it took the impact from the car and twisted back into the inside of said leg. The only thing that is attached on that leg to the bone in the area which was degloved, is the skin grafted on with plastic surgery from the opposite thigh. Got some nice photos of the whole process. Calf dropped, nerves shot to pieces, no feeling in the leg from the knee down. Can't even feel the ground your standing on.

This was not from a person being trapped under a bike, or being dragged along on the ground or anything else.

This leg was wearing full, good quality leather at the time. It has nothing to do with clothing riding up, or that a car too small, or even the angle a car takes your leg off from. All those who think they are invincible in leather. Don't.

who say is invincible? its increasing your chance to survive and take some damage for you in some situation.

and maybe you are right to ask not to be an example in this case fazerstun, and I hope you will never be an example for this kind of topics, but we are not nazi and we don`t make any safe gear bla bla campaign :) we are just bikers like you, like your friends.. or we are?

can I just throw 2p down the safety well on this one, Ive been biking now for something that must equate to 2 normal life times. Ive seen mates of mine injured and I have also seen mates of mine die, I've had mates lose limbs some of them were unlucky enough to lose more than one limb.anyway, point is that some wore leather some did not the fact of the matter is that they all got hurt, basically it is all just luck of the draw no matter what we wear when biking, sure leathers will save you more than cloth from the stupid stuff like gravel rash and in the more serious accidents it will hold you together instead of the ambulance man going to look see where your arm or leg is laying..whatever you guys and girl decide to wear its all gonna hurt one way other the other come a nasty spill, so take it easy and be a safe as you can eh.

• Like 4

fazerstun, if you want I can remove the offending article for you?

just PM me :)

I was about to do that myself - Beat me to it, as always!

Seems it's my week for it!

Yeah right, you'd had all day to do it.

*Sigh*... It was a jest. He knows full well I didn't even consider it.

This post is 3413 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.