im coming back! hopefully with a YZF600r

Matthew Duncan
This post is 3892 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So was speaking to one of my aunties borthers at the weekend, and as per got onto talking about bikes.

was sayign that i had an sv but was looking for something else, and turns out he's selling a Thundercat!

went and had a look at it and its clean, has service history and would get taxed and tested prior to sale.

asking for 1400, and the insurance is less than my SV, despite the jump in horsepower, guessing because of the "Sport Touring" classification?

can mind what year is it, only had a quick look - going back for a proper look and test this weekend.

whats your thoughts on this bike?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yep look around on forums you'll fiind lots of complaints about 2nd gear not holding,though shouldn't be that much of a problem for you to spilt the case and fit na new fork,with all the motor heads around you

You WON'T find a lot of complaints about second gear. It happened on a tiny handful out of the thousands upon thousands of bikes sold. Yet people keep repeating it as though it's something you should expect on every 'Cat lol. Such is the internet, eh, haha? Once the rumour mill starts, it takes a long while to put something to rest lol.

I've had my Thundercat for two years so feel I can help you out here.

It's big enough and comfortable enough that you can ride two-up quite happily for a whole day, though I will say the revvy 600cc engine, though supposedly torquey compared to an R6, doesn't enjoy hauling two of you through traffic. There's a lot of riding the clutch to smooth out the ride in town.

But go out on your own and its got the power and handling to keep up with many more modern bikes. I regularly ride out with an SV1000, S1000RR, GSXR600 and an R6 and never get left behind.

Mine has a Viper race can and it sounds great. Exhausts, actually, are one thing to look out for on a Cat - the original downpipes were made of monkey metal and tend to rust through. Mine did, so I replaced them with stainless steel Motads.

If I were to keep mine, I'd lower it and put some raised bars on it, as my back doesn't like the hunched over position (even though it's nowhere near as extreme as an R6 or the ilk). I'd probably also gear it down a bit to give it a bit more low-end oomph.

As it stands, I'm trading it in for a cruiser which I'm hopefully picking up this week, simply because I want to take it easy, do more two-up touring and no longer need the speed a Thundercat can offer.

If you get it, you'll get a fast, frugal (50mpg+), good looking, capable and ultra-reliable sports-tourer. You'll enjoy it.

A new selector fork won't cost much and it should only take about 2 hours to fit it that's in the worst case, it might be alright and it's a nice bike anyway, no matter what bike you buy it's going to need fettling.

A new selector fork won't cost much and it should only take about 2 hours to fit it that's in the worst case, it might be alright and it's a nice bike anyway, no matter what bike you buy it's going to need fettling.

Not if he contacts Pidcock Triumph of Long Eaton and gets mine after I trade it in ;)

Year's MOT, new fork seals, recond brakes, new downpipes, full service and carb balance, new chain set. new tyres... Passed MOT with flying colours and ready to rock and roll! I'm sure they'd give it him for a steal, too...

Not if he contacts Pidcock Triumph of Long Eaton and gets mine after I trade it in ;)

Year's MOT, new fork seals, recond brakes, new downpipes, full service and carb balance, new chain set. new tyres... Passed MOT with flying colours and ready to rock and roll! I'm sure they'd give it him for a steal, too...

only a 8 hour drive! haha

still keen on getting it, (the one next to me/) despite the "2nd gear problem" will ride it hard in second to see if it pops out, and use the fact it MAY be prone to this fault to knock some £££ off :)

They're great bikes. A nice step up in terms of power from your SV650.

Be a very different riding experience though.

They're great bikes. A nice step up in terms of power from your SV650.

Be a very different riding experience though.

looking forward to the power jump, im stepping up the chain nicely :)

what do you mean about the riding experience though?

looking forward to the power jump, im stepping up the chain nicely :)

what do you mean about the riding experience though?

It BEGS to be revved to 14k. That's where the power lives. An SV650 has quite a flat powerband, from what I recall. Whereas on an i4 600 the power just builds and builds and builds till you don't think it can anymore. Then it does!

Gets very addictive. Leads to illegal speeds in no time flat.

Part of the reason I'm making the migration to a cruiser, lol. Though I'm very glad I had the 'Cat while I did.

I bought mine back in February - I love it. You can pretty much guarantee avoiding any 2nd gear issues by putting in a Factory Pro shift kit. I'm on a forum dedicated just to the Cat, and I'd say about 5-7% of those guys have had 2nd go out on them. It seems to be killed by over-revved bad shifts, not some inherent defect in the gearbox.

It loves to run above 6k, and requires some dedicated clutch work around town to keep things smooth. I like the mix of 600 zoom zoom sportiness, and the more upright position than an R6 without being a fully upright sports tourer.

just got some more details and a picture . . . its the 99' model, with 25k on the clocks.

2jaz48i.jpg

http://tinypic.com/r/2jaz48i/5 - link for anyone wanting to see bigger etc.

the SV was a big jump up on power from the xj600, but now it seems boring and slow - which its really not! i think its just human nature to allways want bigger, more powerfull and faster.

But i do like the idea of the "proper" seat, high handle bars ect, for what i use the bike for, commuting to work, back and forth between mine and my hometown (130 miles round) i think the riding position on an R6 would be jsut to harsh, from what ive seen and heard, these will have no trouble keeping up anyway! (and i'd be keen to break the 150 mark, on private road or track anyway)

hope this picture works :eusa_think:

I frequently ride 150 miles going home on the R6 and dont have a problem. Youre young, youll be fine! Make the most of whilst you can.

dont get me wrong, would love one! but insurance for me would mostlikely be a problem!

Buy it Matthew buy it!!!!!!!! Don't think about it just BUY IT. That is a pretty little bike, you will be kicking yourself if you let it go by.

• Like 1

right, im putting my SV up for sale tonight!

DECIDED!

Good Lad, you know it makes sense. :hyper:

right, im putting my SV up for sale tonight!

DECIDED!

Good lad! The Cat'll put a smile on your face! :D

its goign to be a few weeks untill i get it, need to sell my bike first, and the guys going offshore for 3 weeks. But was speaking to him last night, and he put a battery and new plugs in it - fired up first time after a year :)

oldmans popping up for a shot tonight, and if he likes it then will get it taxed and tested for me getting it - woooo

n4tfdw.jpg

going up to have a shot at the weekend, £1500 with a year MOT, and a new tire that was needed for it. with 25k on the clocks would this be about the right price?

there is another one advertised in moray for £1450 here - http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/motorbike-1999-yamaha-yzf600-thundercat/1026168489#photo-content

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online