2003 WR250F 'Legalize It' Project

j0hn
This post is 3621 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Some people hate used stuff, but in all honesty once your balls deep in the mud and caked in crap whats it matter?

Also helmet- if i remember correctly, shouldn't you replace your helmet once its been hit?- so why not go for something nearer the 30 or 40 mark? sounds cheap but i have always used nitro helmets.

I landed on my head in the old one hahaha, hit my head soo hard i felt a bit sick for 15 or soo mins but after that i was hunky doorey and the helmet hadn't actually split at all. (i still bought a new one after as i'm sure they are only designed to take one bang)

Blue

Red

Not sure whats on ebay, ill have a look a bit later on matey

• 2 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

So how's the bike treating ya mate?

Any cool pics or videos to show us? have you mastered the wheelie yet?

AND did you make it out to those greenlanes/track for a go?

Not heard anything about it for a while, hope it's all good man!

More then likely out on the bike too much to post about it lol :jossun:

Ya whats up shit your pants yet when the wheel come's up in 4th when you wern't tring?

welch hows the 610 treating you big lump of bike to try and throw around when it get's slippery got the swing of it yet?

I'll be honest mate, i have only been off road a handful of times on it (the rear tire has all of about 5mm of tread in the center-i think UK bike limit is 1mm :eusa_whistle:) .....i will swap it over for the almost new tire on my xt as they are both the same size!

But i have done a fairly decent greenlane after it had been dry for a few days, i fucking flew around it man! got about half way and came across a bloody convoy of land rover defenders. to be fair they all let me pass and never got near me after that.

The te is fucking fast! on forestry tracks which are wide enough for two cars to squeeze past each other i am doing what i would on the road (i think about 50-70 :spin2: - but i could get 55 out of my xt on these tracks).

ALSO got stopped by police the other day :eusa_doh:! APPARENTLY i was speeding...... he told me that i took off from them soo fast that they thought it might have been stolen!OOOOOPS (bragging rights? :eusa_think: hahahaha - ride it like you stole it ;) )

Thing is i wasn't even going flat out! i really try not to rev the thing too much....god knows how they would even dream to catch someone on a sports bike.

i have found the best way to ride it is- point it in the direction you wish to travel, open throttle to engage warp drive, and hold on as tight as you can. hahaha i'm only messing the throttle is very user friendly not an on/off feeling one.

needless to say I LOVE IT!

just need to see how it goes in tighter and more technical terrain.

suspension feels 5 times better then the XT's, brembo brakes front and rear, about 8foot of ground clearance and pulls like a train from idle revs!

I still haven't been off-road. Collecting a bit of money to buy the gear at the moment. I have been using it on the road to get use to it. I still shit my pants from time to time lol. dt502001, not in 4th gear but in 3rd. Front wheel started lifting up and I was like wtf wtf lol.

I hope it was just a slap on the wrist welshwan! Glad you're enjoying your bike lol :P.

LOL John just a matter of where you sit on the seat,close to the tank will help stop the front comming up but if you like wheelies as much as i do sit at the back of the seat,short shift to 4th then a quick off and on with the throttle and your on the back wheel,ride the rear brake a wee bit and you can ride like that for miles.Once you get the hang of the ballence point.The beauty of the wr is it's oiling system you won't starve the cams of oil doing wheelis like most bikes.

Welsh you best be carfule or your not going to have a licence for long,as far as catching sport bike's you still have a advantage you can go anywhere sport bike's suck in the mud,so do cop cars/bikes.Ive never seen a cop go through a ditch into a mudy feild and through a forest of trees a few feet appart and come out the otherside of the forest like we can,not saying I've ever done that :eusa_whistle:

Sounds like you both are haveing fun with the new toy's too bad wer all so far appartwould be fun to get together and bash bars.

Would be pretty cool to go out for a ride if it wasn't for that big pond! I still get shaky legs while I'm on the WR lol. Still need to get properly used to the clutch because I have times where my bad clutch precision cause the bike to jerk back and forth so I'm staying away from wheelies for now :P.

I was wondering if this is normal but when I'm stopped in traffic and have the clutch pulled in on first gear, I get this really weird feeling that the bike is trying to fight the clutch and move forward. Just little jerks forward as if the clutch isn't fully disengaged. I've tried moving the bike in first gear while the clutch is pulled and it rolls forward and back fine. There is however a noticeable difference between moving the bike while in neutral and moving in first gear while the clutch is pulled in, latter being slightly stiffer.

Don't sit with the bike in gear,you can adjust the cable for some more pull if needed, my bike dosen't roll well in gear with the clutch in either,but realy this is a race bike barely street leagle and not intdended to sit in gear. The hotter the clutch gets then the more it grabs.So get used to rolling up to a stop and hit netural.The brakes work so well you don't need to down shift to first on the street,just go down to 2nd and then hit netural and stopie on the front wheel with the back wheel in the air HAHA that's optional.

Try watching closely some guys dirting( or any form of racing) you will notice that they never use the clutch to shift up,a realy slow loose dirt and tight cornner we will grab the clutch and bang it to get the revs up and get a good drive out of a cornner,but never to get up from 1 gear to the next,for that you just load the shifter blip the throttle off and back on the bike will shift.And this is the way you should be riding F the clutch for up shifts it's a waist of time smoother,easier!

Till you master clutch less shifting, then stay away from wheelies as it's a needed skill, while your on the back wheel ballencing the bike with the throttle/rear brake you can't shift the bike with the clutch,you will loose the power for to long and the front wheel wil come down,or worse when you let the clutch out the bike will flip over from the sudden jerk of power.

For wheelies you don't need the clutch and should not be using it your bike makes enough power to not need it( thoes trainer bike's they make you guys start on are a joke and need clutch to get the wheel up for the most part Because they don't make enough power,,the dt 125 is one that will without),

I all ready said this, just sit back on the seat and short shift to what ever speed you feel comfortable with,,, bang the throttle off and then grab a hand full of throttle the bike will stand up on it's back wheel,fast(20ish) is actualy easier to control as the bike wont come up as quick,so if you want try a few low front wheel lift's till youget used to how the bike reacts 3rd is good for this,but keep your foot over the rear brake and be prepaired to hit it if things get scary.

If you still have shakie legs then work you way up too this slowly,,, as they say "Rome wasn't built in a day" and riding skills take years to perfect I have 40 under my belt so it's kinda natural to me.

Someone her has a siginature that say's the rubber side goes down,that's wrong the front and rear wheel should face the sky now and then LOL.

Next lesson is learning how to stab the front brake and get the rear wheel up but I can't even think of how to put that in words.

Later John have fun and ride with your brain not your balls

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure how i have missed these comments. :eusa_think:

Yeah no ticket or points! he said if he had a cam in the car i would have been fucked!..... after this incident i borrowed a satnav and turns out i was doing about 80-90 ooopps hahaha. Yeah i try and stay out of trouble as best i can....but they don't have much to do around here , so unless there are kids in town they can annoy, they just stop people and have a nosey around their car or whatever.

You saying i could have fucked off through a field or something...funny thing is they thought i was going to! when i noticed they were behind me (i saw the reg' plates of parked car lighting up blue so i stop instantly and killed the engine, looked back at them and they were on NO hurry to get out of the car lol, the passenger slowly got out on the car and told me to get off the bike and put it on the stand......must have thought i was going to disappear into the darkness hahahaha

I bet the WR is a bloody great fun! how are you finding riding about on off road tires man, especially on the 'black top'? and good luck with getting your gear together because i'm dying to know how you get on with the muddy stuff!

You're damn right dt50, it would be awesome for a meet up! If only.

Not many people round here with road legal dirt bikes either

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while welshwan! I'm still trying to piece together my gear so bike is yet to see the muddy stuff. Those on-off road tyres are pretty good on the road but going around roundabouts still gives me the shakes lol.

• 2 weeks later...

John, just wondering how you're finding the polisport headlight?

Need to change the one on my dt and considering getting one.

What are they like compared to the stock lamp on your xt?

Hey welshie, if I end up camping in bala next summer fancy showing me the lanes?

• Like 1

John, just wondering how you're finding the polisport headlight?

What are they like compared to the stock lamp on your xt?

It's awesome! Comes with a halogen bulb and it's a lot stronger than the XT. Haven't had any issues without yet so if you're looking for something aftermarket, I'd recommend it.

What a great threat, well done with the project mate. Hopefully a bit of inspiration will rub off on me.

Thanks dude, you need to get back into this again. It's nothing but fun... most of the time :P.

What a great threat, well done with the project mate. Hopefully a bit of inspiration will rub off on me.

LOL Groucho I don't remember Jhon threating you to get your bike fixed :eusa_snooty: ,hope it dosen't cost you a ton.

It's awesome! Comes with a halogen bulb and it's a lot stronger than the XT. Haven't had any issues without yet so if you're looking for something aftermarket, I'd recommend it.

sweet cheers mate! Gonna order one this week

Nice one welsh!

• 2 weeks later...

So I've finally made some progress. Got myself some gear :D!

• Thor Force helmet + Goggles
  • Chest and back protector
  • Elbow protectors
  • Yamaha racing off-road gloves (with knuckle protector)
  • Yamaha racing off-road boots
  • Fox racing motocross socks

Waiting on a Thor Phase motocross jersey and still looking for a decent neck and knee brace. Not long before I'm off-roading now :P.

FullKit.jpg

• Like 1