Miles to a tank

looney tunes
This post is 3921 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok have done a search but can't find any relevant answers, I know we all ride differently but on an average how many miles to a full tank of petrol should I be getting out of my XVS650?

Did a long trip when I first got the bike and got 102 to the tank but most of that was motorway riding at a steady 70ish....... And more recently just pooling around town I only got 75 miles, thinking I might have a problem somewhere?

Thanks Tony

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sounds about right tony" :yeah: urban cycle will burn more . stop-start. at lights etc..

From my last fill up I am now up to 122 miles, and still not had to switch to reserve yet. XVS650 Classic, the riding has all been A roads and around town.

Definitely something wrong there. A stock drag should yield 140-150 miles to a tank before switching to reserve. With straight through pipes and no rejetting, that could go up to 180 miles to the tank. Get it checked out.

I used to get 120ish miles before switiching to res. thats with straight through pipes, bigger jets and ram filters. but found i got less miles when i filled up in ASDA so i only put Super unleaded in now and get more miles

Many thanks, has had a full service and I have now booked it in for a check / tune up as it does run lumpy.

Again many thanks

Riding hard like a muthafukka, with half-baffled Geminis, lack of attention to tuning/maintenance and a general disregard for fuel prices, you should expect 120-130 before hitting reserve.

Gear up earlier and ride steadily to help the economy - 2nd at 20, 3rd at 30, 4th by 45 and 5th from 60 upwards. Avoid whacking open the throttle and avoid speeding up/slowing down too much (where possible).

Book says you should expect 175 miles, including reserve.

Thanks, when I got the bike it had cut down home made exhausts fitted, I assume the carb was played with as well. Have put it all back to standard but haven't touched the carb, it has to come off any way to take the restricters out (assuming they are still in there) off to Manchester today for the rainy daze Harley weekend after its been tuned so will see how it runs.

Thanks Tony

There is only 16 litres (3.52 imp gals) of fuel in a Classic with 3L (0.66 imp gals) being reserve. So if you get to reserve having done 130 miles that's around 45 mpg. This is about what I get from mine if I ride it nicely.

I guessed it as no one knew the size until you Peter, I weren't far off though. 45mpg is respecable as long as your not riding really slow. I thought these bikes would be doing 55ish.

If the carbs were rejetted to work with straight-through pipes with no baffles (fairly large size jets), and you put the stock exhaust back on, then the bike is now running ridiculously rich, hence the poor mileage. Either rejet back to stock, or get a nice set of pipes. Then you'll see 50-60 mpg, probably more.

got a 535, if i ride like a lunitic, i burn fuel if i watch what i'm doing , being sensible (bad word for a 48 yr old child), conservative mpg, what do u want staight thru pipes ..less mpg....,road legal system, proper jetting and tuning,.... realistic mpg, in my opinion your style of riding + whether town / city / motorway/ riding ..lots of low gear riding all contibute....regular servicing, helps , if ur like me (a tellytubbie) u use more than a 10stone slender git, load of factors to consider

Well have had it fully serviced, have had the carbs removed and restriction plates removed, had it fully rejetted and tuned.

Travelled over to Manchester on Friday and came home today and so far have done 144 miles and still not turned over to reserve yet so very happy with the results of the service and tune up :)

I guessed it as no one knew the size until you Peter,

I knew, just missed your post asking. Besides, Google means you no longer need to guess! ;)

I expect 48mpg on mine. Shocking when compared to the FJ.

Google, when the experts are on hand shouldn't need to use it. I bet if Google was used there is more than one tank size!

16L... 16L... 16L... 16L... 16L... 16L... 16L... 3.5 imp gal... 16L... 16L...

Apparently Google is correct.

19Ltrs is the tank size so WRONG.

Excuse me?

So both of the 650 Dragstars I own have subsized tanks, as well as the Owners Manuals being made of lies?

Or did you just Google the hell out of it, ignoring the many accurate stats pages until you found a single wrong entry/typo?

This post is 3921 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.