frame number problem

oliver125
This post is 3920 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, my frame number is very worn away, so much that you can JUST see it! The bike frame has been painted alot of times an its main colour was blue but the last owner spayed parts of it silver an smaller bits with a paint brush! :o while the bike was still together aswell lol

i was planning on having it sandblasted an powdercoated but if it gets sand blasted the numbers will go compleatly an even if its not blasted an just sprayed you wont either.

So if i get it done can i just put a sticker with the frame number on over it for the mot?.. Cant have no numbers or ill get it taken off me! :( bikes a dtr125 1988 btw

Thank you!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Its most probably faint from cables rubbing and wear an tear over the years, and if its been sandblasted a few times.

I had to scrape away at the powder coating, there was the silver brushed on paint, purply blue spray paint then the main blue powdercoat. Took age to sand lol so me sanding it down to bear metal never helped but its more visable now

and i thought of getting a little strip of metal an stamping the frame numbers on an sticking it on.

but then thought if i get pulled theyll think its a ringer an ill get fuxked!

Are you aloud to restamp them? We had stamps that you bash with a hammer but i wouldnt be able to get it perfect lol

no you cant re-stamp it or stick any labels on, never allow it to be blasted again. Use paintstripper to reveal the number with minimum further removal of metal and just lightly spray over the area...hopefully this will reveal the number

Will do mate! Cheers for info

wht would i do if the cables rub it away compleatly over time? Declare it off road an rereg with a q plate or have to buy a new frame? :(

Will do mate! Cheers for info

wht would i do if the cables rub it away compleatly over time? Declare it off road an rereg with a q plate or have to buy a new frame? :(

if thats your concern, get it readable for the MOT and after that cut a piece of tin can and gaffer tape it over the number so no more wear can occur

Remember the okd school trick of laying a faintly going over ur mates notes written on a previous piece of paper on pad? Try laying a thin pieve of paper and doing the same...either that or modelling clay...push into every crevice lay flat and dry...then go over lightly with a pencil and paper...childish bust has worked in the past

Just to be sure of the number that is :)

Cheers for that mate, i have the v5 etc an can see the numbers correct. Goood idea though! :P

i just might need it stamping again, thats thevit im worried with, i could probably get it done straight onto the frame, but as its 20+ years old they might be leniant with me lol, ill have to take v5 with me for he mot so he can write it down..

I did put wipe greese in it which is how i can just see it, but its barely a mm deep lol

Surely...and this is me speculating here...but if the number is visable..u have the v5 form...then a (what is now) standard vin plate in aluminium would be acceptable...as long as you have it paperworked (I.e can be traced via a garage) then it has to be legel...otherwise all those cars recovered where the vin has been ground off couldnt be further identified. ..good luck matey

As Airhead said really.

Don't ever get it sand blasted. Never try and restamp it or put a plate over the numbers. Using the paper and pencil rub is a good idea and store the rubbing in a folder with the rest of the documents. Protect the number from further damage, by rubbing, by sticking something semi permanent over it. Gaffer tape, insulating tape etc. Remember that this will have to be removed for any inspection including a MOT so something that will cause minimal damage to any paint.

Cheers lads i apriciate the help! Ill have to mask it off when it comes to painting an do it with cans.

you could always clear coat the area too with 2 pack. very hard paint

if you restamp it, it would be very hard to get the letters straight an inline

I personally don't see the problem of sticking on an engraved plate ( if you google long enough you find black plates they say frame number an have a space for it to be engraved)

you have the log book an the chassis number an engine match then you should be ok mine was but I guess its up to the tester

I assume you are going to get the frame painted properly so this will make the number less readable may be take a pic of the number before an after paint an take it with you

Yeah mate i found blank vin plates online that need to be riveted on.. Will look into it. Aslong as its readable im sure hell be ok :).only problem is its had a newer engine put in!

+ yeahh was going to get it professionally powdercoated as it ruins the whole bike lookin like it does! :(

Aske about it an they arent interested! Will just leave the numbers an cover them. Not risking it looking dodgy