Dont they make 2 stroke MX bikes anymore? and why?

rjw99
This post is 3900 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

recently purchased a DT125 RE 2006 for £1300, which i thought wasn't bad with 12000 and only unrestricted since 10000, reliable etc etc etc

Anyway spoke to a mate of mine who rides bikes, he said, never sell it, even if you dont ride it, keep it as they are only going to go up in price because they dont make 2 stroke's anymore.

That true?? And why have they stopped making 2 strokes??

Did a bit of reading up, and people were saying emissions, surely that cant be true??? all the shite that China and India pump out and they stopped making 2 strokes because of their emissions???

We could literally turn EVERYTHING off in this country and it wouldnt make any negligable difference to the emmission output of the WORLD. Hm im going off on a tangent lol

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Emissions are one reason plus, reliability, cunsumer desires, fuel economy and a few more.

You can still get 2 strokes but they are very limited.

It may take a lot of years before a DT125 RE becomes more valuable. If you want to look at a good 2 stroke investment then a RD500 or a RG500 are good bets.

They still make plenty of two stroke mx and enduro bikes. What I think your mate meant was not many road registered two strokes are sold.

Look at youtube videos of KTM 300exc now they are a fun fun bike. And still road legal!

I think its only the European guys now that make 2T such as KTM, Husky and Husaberg etc.

The DT will go up in value in around 10 years time but I dont know if it would be worth holding onto. I know the TDR 250 is pretty valuable now and would be worth getting hold of one if you can, also an rs250?

I sold my DT RE around 5 years ago with 14k on the clocks for £1900 so they still seem to be depreciating at the moment.

Yamaha, Suzuki and Honda still make 2 stroke bikes.

Only thing i can say on this topic is they no longer produce big engined 2 smokers.

Heavy weights of yesteryear are:

Yamaha TZ 750

Honda cr500

Kawasaki KX500

Yamaha RD500 (im sure they made a 500?)

And a fair few others that i can't think of.....maybe some of the older ones will be able to list them?

Iv not seen any of the big four producing off road bikes for a few years now, not in this country anyway because of all the emissions.

You can still buy road legal Yamaha yz 2 strokes, you can still buy road legal Suzuki RMZ 2 strokes, you can still buy Honda 2 stroke trials bikes that can be made road legal, and Kawasaki MX bikes arent too much ball ache either.

Whether you would wanty to ride any of the above on the road is another question,

Only thing i can say on this topic is they no longer produce big engined 2 smokers.

Heavy weights of yesteryear are:

Yamaha TZ 750

Honda cr500

Kawasaki KX500

Yamaha RD500 (im sure they made a 500?)

And a fair few others that i can't think of.....maybe some of the older ones will be able to list them?

My mate owned a Kwak KH500 and it went like shit of a shiney shovel. You could also get a kh750

Suzuki did a T500 and a GT500 and a GT750

• Like 1

This emissions thing was a big fad " :eusa_snooty: Diesels are the worste pollutors, It was Honda that wanted 2strokes fazed out of GP racing.

the practically own the F.I.M. and low and behold , the"ve got rid, of 250cc Gp &125cc Gp races,,,, replaced by Moto 2 = 600cc [ Honda engined bikes] I bet Aprilla are sick , as they had the dominant 125cc 2T, Gp bike,,

If evolution had carried on, the 2T engine would still be the fastest & most powerfull engine ,

Black hat is DEAD on why 2t are getting fazed out,a bunch of political bs,Honda started the idea that "2t were dirty and as a responsable race community we need to clean up our racing,as such we will faze out the 2t class " not a exact quote but I rember reading it years ago. Aprlia was kicking thier ass in 125 -250.Honda couldn't steal the pattons or buy Aprlia as they wouldn't sell out to them. And as Honda basical tell the F.M.I. what the new rule's will be the rest just had to follow suit.

Traction control,who got it right so it would work on bikes HONDA ...BANG new ruel TC is allowed,same with slipper clutches.

It's the golden rule "he who has the gold makes the rules" and nobody (Bike manufactuers) have any where near the cash to spend on racing than Honda

It all complet BS read my post about clean 2t and how canada is leading the way. Bombardia make 2t so clean you throw out mor oil in a year riding a 4t than the 2t could possibly burn.Over the same distance.

It's all the muther @#$%^ tree huggers they see some comming out the tail piep and start screaming your poluting,when the real fact is that a properly set up 2t once warmed up will burn more of the co's and run cleaner over the life of the motor. Cheaper to build due to less parts to make =less polutiants,but nobody seems to think about that,The 4t wear out just as fast as the 2t when your talking about race bikes,but cost 4x as much to maintain.

I.E. rebuild a 2t top end new rings 60-70 bucks 2-3 times then bore and new piston & rings cost @ 600.... rebuild a 4t once new rings check valves new shims to reset the clearence 125.00 minum after the 4-5 th rebuild your throwing all the valves away + the springs + the keepers re cutting the valve seats or replacing them can run 1000.00 easy then if the cylinder is worn your replating the cylinder minum 300.00.

all these part have to be made and that = poloution, they have to be shipped =poloution,they have to be recycled=poloution

Blow up the 2t well it wont run you much over 1200.00 blow up the 4t your looking at a 3000.00 to 4000.00 rebuild.Just comparing a yz 250 to a yzf250

So from a aspect of wich motor is makeing more poloution bulding the 4t will will make 10x or more the poloution,in manufacturing and running/maintaing the motor than a 2t. So what is comming out the tail pipe is null and void,again people don't think about the BIG picture just what the higher up's tells them.

Well thats my RANTING over

2t's got a bad rap about blowing up years ago,mostly cause people forgot to put oil in them,or didn't mix it properly.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online