1997 XVS 650 Restricted

looney tunes
This post is 3925 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

ok peeps, quick question for you if I may, I have found a sticker on my bike saying that it has been restricted down to 25Kw (see photo)

IMG_0726_zps44ed1c8e.jpg

I have a full bike licence so not restricted on what I can ride so my next question is how is it restricted and is it possible to de-restrict it........ cheaply :eusa_whistle:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello, I am not to knowledgable on this matter but thought I'd try to help you out. I've found this forum from a couple years ago from a member with similair problem. Like they said and I tend to agree if it is restricted it can't be by that much as it is a 650cc motorcycle. I've only seen restrictions on other types of bikes mainly but who knows you might find out more then I could lol good luck!

Generally what tends to happen is they put washers in the carbs to restrict the intake. Should be a simple matter to take them out!

V-twins are quite common to be restricted, as by their nature (low revving with quite a lot of torque) they take a restriction quite well.

Put restrictors on a high-revving sportsbike and it's virtually unrideable lol.

Stupid thing to do, really... 40hp down to 33. Like it makes THAT much difference on a 650 Drag!!

yeh really pointless. Had a throttle restrictor fitted to the 750 shadow, its a 10 second job to remove it. Would be nice if its the same with the 650 youve got.

FI international are apparently only doing throttle restrictors from now on. No more washer kits will be available so its a decent chance it could be a throttle restrictor is fitted in last few years

My bike has the paperwork to say it is restricted - and it was via the 'washers' inserted between the carbs. To remove them you need to get the tank off and then take the carbs off, I can't be arsed to even check if they are still there as it will still get to indicated 85 which is fine for me.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online