Vintage helmet to go with bike

XJRider93
This post is 3904 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Haha ordered a vintage helmet to go with my vintage bike thought it might be kinda cool as I was in need for a new helmet anyway my visor lock broke causing high speed visors fly ups and a burst of wind into my face when changing lanes xD

Here's the helmet if anyone's curious :) cheers!

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mV8urEn21Z2834BBXOel4Zw.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Err... an actual 1983 vintage helmet? Or just a retro-styled, brand new modern one?

Silly question, but you *are* aware that helmets usually degrade over time, resulting in something with less head protection than a slice of cheese... right?

Haha it's not from 83 I think actually it's like 1991-1993 but it has all mesh and layers in it with dot approved never used has plastic still on it

You are probably correct task but I got it cheap and looks vintage so I'll check the padding and all I might just use as display or something lol had to have it though brought back the 80s

I'm totally with the 80s thing!!

Lids may still deteriorate, even if not used, as manufacturing components break down. Using old lids not my thing, personally, but your call...

This from: http://www.smf.org/helmetfaq

"Why should you replace your helmet every five years?

The five-year replacement recommendation is based on a consensus by both helmet manufacturers and the Snell Foundation. Glues, resins and other materials used in helmet production can affect liner materials. Hair oils, body fluids and cosmetics, as well as normal "wear and tear" all contribute to helmet degradation. Petroleum based products present in cleaners, paints, fuels and other commonly encountered materials may also degrade materials used in many helmets possibly degrading performance. Additionally, experience indicates there will be a noticeable improvement in the protective characteristic of helmets over a five-year period due to advances in materials, designs, production methods and the standards. Thus, the recommendation for five-year helmet replacement is a judgment call stemming from a prudent safety philosophy.

"

• Like 1

Haha it's not from 83 I think actually it's like 1991-1993 but it has all mesh and layers in it with dot approved never used has plastic still on it

is not about how much was used, its about materials in contact with... water, air, and stuffs.

every year I use to put never used climbing ropes and other things for climbing in the trash bin just because its to old. and to old mean 5-6 years from fabrication date. yes, all, never used! so be careful in witch trips you use this helmet :)

• Like 1

I had a lovely 80's Bell helmet, but the plastic just fell apart after a bit. :(

you should be able to get Modern helmets retro styled (but they cost)

Googles and a hard-hat,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, sur ya'll be grand !!!!

Thanks guys I'll just have to see when It comes in its true condition and all might just use it for quick rides and going out one night to display it lol

is not about how much was used, its about materials in contact with... water, air, and stuffs.

every year I use to put never used climbing ropes and other things for climbing in the trash bin just because its to old. and to old mean 5-6 years from fabrication date. yes, all, never used! so be careful in witch trips you use this helmet :)

That's exactly what I was thinking! Lol I think on rides longer then around my city I'll use my one with visor missing and put goggles on and take visor off :)

Why don't you buy a new helmet and have painted with a retro finished.

Good idea but wouldn't that cost a pretty penny more than likely?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online