Stuck carb bowl

XJRider93
This post is 3906 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all quick question need some suggestions. On my xj bike of course there are four carbs, well, the previous owner before me decided to jb weld the bowl onto the carb bottom rather then replace the screws for whatever reason and the carb being aluminum i was dodgy about grinding it off, so my question is how could I possibly remove the carb bowl to clean the float bowl and jets with cleaner without purchasing a new carb? I was thinking maybe just take carbs off, disassemble rest, and on the one with jb weld on it just take the piston valve, spring, and needle out and just spray carb cleaner into bowl from top of carb, let that sit for a couple hours, then open float bowl drain screw to empty cleaner out then just wash whole carb in gas and shoot compressed air throughout lol any other ideas, thanks!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

clean what you can get to

you might be able to get away with spraying carb cleaner up the overflow pipe a few times only issue is you will never know how much crud is actualy in there

• Like 1

Yea your exactly right hmmm... I'll try both ways and see, at least I'll have tried and the other three will be clean as can be and hopefully my bikes running issues will be solved lol. I'm putting four new plugs in, cleaning carb putting in new gaskets in bowl, new vaccum and fuel lines, new air filter, new gear and motor oil change, and just picked up a battery tender jr wall plug in for keeping my battery strength well maintained :)

Also gonna clean my tank out and petcock and pick up new in line fuel filter for added filtration lol

it might work the same ... worth a go at least

i cleaned a bunch of carb parts / entire carb by poping them in to an air tight container and filling it with carb cleaner untill all the parts were covered just left them in there soaking for a few days

gave it a shake a good shake drained it left it to dry out and then sprayed more carb cleaner through as a test on a spare carb it came out pretty clean no tacky residue left in at least

the only thing really after that to be of concern is loose weld bits inside and allyoxide

Yea that's true also lol on another note if you or anyone knows how can I check to see if my in tank fuel filter is in my tank still? I can't tell inside of its there that's why I use an inline filter just to be sure I'm getting filtration but I know if you don't have the in tank filter you loose the reserve outlet on the petcock valve which isn't so good if you run out of gas on the road and realize you don't have the reserve option anymore D:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online