'78 DT 125

tritowns
This post is 3895 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I traded an aluminum boat I got from the garbage dump for this yamaha and a lil minibike. To be fair the boat was in very good condition and had no leaks... just needed to be freshened up.

The DT, after a carb cleaning (boiled in water and lemon juice for about 20 minutes) runs like a top...

Of course the clutch was no where near being adjusted and I could move the actuator lever with my fingers. Adjusted the clutch now to where it works properly.. and I must say the clutch basket and assembly is just like new in there. I did manage to rip the side cover gasket, but it's mostly up at the top so I'm just gonna leave it like that till fall.

I got this bike so I can teach my 13 yo son to ride.

It sure isn't perfect, but it's certainly fix-up-able.

Still need a tyre tube for the rear, and oils for the engine.... anyone know what kinda oil other than motorcycle oil I can put in it... SE isn't available around here that I can find... it being obsolete and all.

I'll try to post some pics this weekend so you can see her.

Till then peace.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Wow! Good trade I'd say. Looks complete. :thumb: Great starter bike... learning to ride and repair I'd think. Lucky son.

. anyone know what kinda oil other than motorcycle oil I can put in it... SE isn't available around here that I can find... it being obsolete and all.

Hi I don't recognise the term 'SE' when it comes to oil, if you mean the oil to be used in the Gear box you can use ATF oil (automatic transmision oil) TY Trials here in the UK use it on their bikes (http://www.tytrials.co.uk/trailandtrialsuk/prod_199387-Gearchange-Shifter-Repair-Kit-TY125-TY175.html) they recommend it when fitting their modified gear linkage,

SE is an oil rating for engines older than '79, I think it's sm now.

Put dextron 3 in it and it seems to work fine... thanks for that, really should have thought of that myself... worked for many years for a GM dealership...

I'd love to find another 2 smoke bike so both my son and I could ride at the same time... I'll keep looking...

Still lots to do on this lil bike but it's getting better every time I turn some wrenches.

I'll keep you all posted as things traspire.

well the bike is running... the rr tyre tube was a pain in the butt replacing.

my son is running it around the shop here at work today... he's even getting it up a couple of gears... figure 8's are next i'm thinking.

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online